Escort 1.6 CVH..stalling...

Hi all,

My girlfriend has a '91 Escort 1.6 CVH with the CTX transmission. The problem lies with the car stalling, especially when cold.The idle seems lower than normal...sub 500rpm. This does even out when the car warms.

The car has just had a good service and I replaced the auto choke assembly with one from a new Weber carb(from a manual 1.6cvh)

This has had no effect on the cold start...on observing the carb with the engine running I have noticed that the "add-on" stepper motor doesn't seem to do anything.

Before I try and get a stepper motor I would like to know if it actually controls the idle speed...or is there a manual setting for base idle....and whether the auto choke functions on this model.

Apologies for the long post!

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Brown

firstly you dont make it clear if the low idle when cold is with the car in gear or in neutral. What is it like in neutral? Setting these up is no different from the manual box cars apart from there is an extra vacuum operated throttle kicker which needs adjusting too. This gives a slight bolster to idle speed when you put it into gear.

That said these CTX's are notoriously bad for clutch drag when cold and shooting off when put into gear if the revs are even slightly too high, so you may need to improvise your own settings abit after you have set it up as per book and tried it.

Let me know if you want the setup procedure and rpms. (you'll need a DVM or fairly accurate tachometer)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

the last one I saw had a vaccuum retard as well as advance, is this fitted and working?

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful