escort alarm and double locking

Cant get the double locking or alarm to work on my 93 Escort LX(1.4). When i got the car the alarm/locking module was missing and two wires from the module connectors were linked together to overide the immobiliser or something. So i got a module from a scrappy (£10) and plugged it in and removed the link. With the module now plugged in i can access the test mode by pressing the bonnet switch 8 times or so and the horn beeps. I get the following beeps from the horn.

A beep when i open any of the doors.

2 beeps when i turn the key in the doors to the left. 2 beeps when i turn the key in the doors to the right. a beep when i open the boot/tailgate. a beep when you disconect the stereo. a beep when you turn the key in the ignition.

The red light on the dash beside the clock stays on constantly with the ignition both on and off so im guessing this indicates a fault?? (the light is still on when you disconect the module) Strange? With the windows open and turning the key to unlock then lock only single locks it and you can still open the inside handles. With the module unplugged the central locking still works. Im thinking because the module was removed and that that the immobiliser was overridden that perhaps somewhere else in the system has been tampered with. My electronic boot relese switch doesnt work either, is this part of the same system? ive tested the switch and the solenoid on the tailgate and they work fine.

Anyone any ideas about this system. Cheers Greg

Reply to
Greg