Escort central locking?

My son has just bought a P reg 1.6 16v gti escort. Does it have central locking? No doors lock as he turns the key in the drivers door or passenger door. His old car was an Escort, N reg, 1.4 L, which did have central locking. I would hope that, as a slighty newer, higher spec model, the gti does have central locking. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
DrXerox

Firstly, your son cannot have a real 1.6 GTi, this model was only available with the 1.8 Zetec E engine in late 97 onwards until early 99.

Signified by the cosworth style 15" alloys, side skirts, bumper spats, white dials and half leather interior.

And, yes it should have central locking.

Even if its an Si, then it should still have CDL.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Thanks for that Tim,

Says on the registration document Gti. It is fitted with the 1.6 16 valve Zetec engine. No matter, the important bit was wether it had central locking or not.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Reply to
DrXerox

Just had a good look around this car and I don't think it has central locking.

It is a five door hatch, and there is no wiring loom in either rear door. There is just blanking plates on both door pillar and door.

Seems strange to me that a 1.6 16v zetec engined Escort (GTi?) doesn't have CL, yet his old 1.4L does.

Reply to
DrXerox

Then your son hasnt bought a GTi ?!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Maybe a cut n shut ?

Reply to
puss

Log book says its a GTi, insurance company says its a GTi. Ford dealer was given the chassis number and he says its a GTi. Can they all be wrong?

Ford dealer says it was one of a few 1.6 16v zetec GTi's that was built (04-1997) prior to the start of the 1.8 zetecs.

Still doesn't have central locking though!

Reply to
DrXerox

they all had c locking pull the front door card off and have a look

Reply to
dojj

I find that virtually impossible to believe. Must be a mis-build of somesort!

Rather him than me!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim... I find it strange why you "find that virtually impossible to believe." All evidence says it's a GTi. How can a car be a misbuild?

"Rather him than me! " Why?...... Its just an Escort! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car.

Dojj........... Thanks for the reply. The door card thing was an option, but I guess if there is no wiring into the rear doors it points to no CDL!

Reply to
DrXerox

did you look at the locks? the motors are next to the locks and the operate via a big long cable thing and it should be about the sixe of you closed fist with a white plastic cover on it

Reply to
dojj