Escort diesel not starting?

My Escort 1.8 diesel engine wouldnt start this morning - turned over fine, but didnt want to fire at all. Some blue 'dieselly' smoke from the exhaust, but the downpipe was stone cold. I pushed the primer, and that was fairly hard, so doesnt seem to be a fuel problem.

What should I check next?

It has been running fine for the last few months, and has never even hinted at non-starting. Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Check the heater plugs and their power supply. Probably one or more plugs have failed. Replace them.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

As there's smoke, it's most likely a glow plug issue. Most likely another glow plug has died, pushing it into the lots of cranking before finally starting area, or less likely, the glow plug controller has died.

It will eventually start if you keep cranking it, but it won't do the starter motor much good.

Reply to
moray

Spot on - my mate came round for a bit of support, and we tried a lead direct to the glow plugs, and it fired immediately, so either the relay has failed, or the power to/from the relay has a fault.

Where is the relay for these - is it the large one on the nearside inner wing? Thanks Alan

Reply to
A.Lee

No power to the glow plugs - fired immediately once a power lead was attached directly to the glow plug connector.

Probable relay fault? And as my other post, is the glow plug relay the one in the nearside inner wing? And can this be tested insitu? Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

That's the one. Can also remember in the distant past, having a couple where the main feed wire either to the relay, or to the glow plugs failing. Can't remember exact details, but check to see where you're loosing power, before condeming the relay.

Reply to
moray

the relay is on the side by the top of the suspension strut. most often the plug gets cruddy, but sometimes the relay just dies. I expect it is fed from a fuse somewhere too. You can rig up jumper wires and test it where it is.

Reply to
mrcheerful

I have a 2001 focus with 1.8 diesel. I cannot locate the manual primer, plse give me an idea where to look.

Thank you John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Reply to
jhewitt

Maybe different now, as mine is a 1990 escort. It is at the right hand (when looking from infront) end of the cylinder head, black, large button to prime/pump the diesel, with the filter underneath it. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

They never came fitted with manual primers. Got to prime them up using a seperate primer. If you don't prime them after changing the fuel filter, chances are it'll cut out, won't restart, and the fuel pump will stop pumping once it goes dry. Then you've got to force fuel back through the pump to get it pumping again, which doesn't do the pump much good.

Best place to get a primer is from a peugeot. Either go to a dealer and ask for a priming bulb for something with a 2.0l hdi, or get one from a scrapyard. That's what we've been using for the past few years at work, along with a short bit of hose to suit the application. Think it only cost about £12 new, and is certainly a lot cheaper than any of the official kits.

Reply to
moray

Same place in the 1999 1.8 TDi

Reply to