Escort diesel. Tickover lumpy & smoking?

Have a '96 1.8 Escort turbo diesel hatch.

140K miles but in decent nick. ish. Oil & filter regularly changed at 5k, all other filters changed at 10k. Cam belt & tensioner changed every 30k. Valeted regularly, normally the day before mot. Recently, and suddenly, it has become very lumpy and smokes excessively at tickover/idle. No apparent smoke above tickover and performs well. Any ideas please why it is lumpy & smokey at idle speed. I don't have any diagnostic kit and the old car isn't worth spending a lot on, but it is a good everyday hack for supermarkets, garden centres, vets etc.

Thanks

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

try shutting it down, cycling the glowplugs and starting again.

My 99 Escort Diesel is the same - dud(ish) glowplug on 3 does the same which makes for lumpyness after filling up, for example.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Ah, sorry. I don't mean just from cold. Even after a good run of 50-60 miles today it is lumpy and smokey when, say, waiting at traffic lights. Handbrake on and increasing revs stops both but does not cure the problem. Had a problem with a glowplug a couple of years back and replaced all then. Even of the coldest morning it starts V well.

Reply to
Nick

Cold start timing advance on the injection pump is stuck on.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..