Escort gearbox - 5th gear selection problem

I'm having a refurb gearbox fitted to a 96 1.6 litre Escort at the moment.

It was meant to be all done by today but they are having a few problems. Everything works apart from that they can't engage 5th gear.

Any ideas why this might be? Is it just a case of adjustment somewhere or does it point to the fact that the 'refurbished' gearbox isn't so refurbished?

tia Mark

Reply to
Markg

bent or broken selector fork, or missing damaged 5th cog, or shafted syncro. box out job tho.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Reply to
Mindwipe

the 5th gear adjustment is very easy to do remove the end plate and turn the shaft furthest clockwise tighten and retest or if still n/w put into 5th(by the lever)then loosen the shaft and put into 5th manually now tighten it up and check the gears this can be done without taking the box back out

Reply to
ford_technical_

"ford_technical_" wrote

Thanks all for your answers.

I did take it to a garage that only dealt with transmissions, would have thought if it were simple they would have done it by now

Guess I'll find out when I get it back....

Reply to
Markg