Escort headlight assembly replacement

Could anyone give me a hand with details of how to exchange the headlight assembly in a 1990 Ford Escort?

The bulbs and connectors are easily removed, as are the adjustment plate nearest the grill, and the "-o-" shaped locking lug into the side of the wing.

The one I can't undo is the adjustment knob nearest the wing. Unscrewing it just pulls the unit further into the body of the car. Is it as simple as a good tug? The replacement unit I've already purchased does not seem to have any screw thread on the plastic receptor, which would suggest it's a "pop-in" joint.

Just scared to apply too much tug without confirmation.

Many thanks in advance

Reply to
Paul

Heh, a good used 1990 Escort probably costs less than a replacement headlight unit. (c:

What have you got to lose by being a bit rough with the old one, or even smashing it off with a BFO hammer? It'll be fine.

Is there anything that looks like a wee ball, or a plastic hole that would accept a ball on the end of a thread on the replacement unit? I've seen this sort of arrangement on a few cars of this vintage (never looked that closely at an Escort though) and generally a good tug in the right direction seperates the 2 without any damage.

Reply to
Douglas Payne