Escort problem

My brothers Escort Gti revs away up and down (as if pressing the accelerator) without actually doing anything. It also at about 70mph just dies and loses power until it drops to about 55mph when it then starts to pick up again.

Any ideas about these problems

Reply to
kram

Could be MAF, could be something as simple as a blocked fuel filter.

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
kram

Mass Air Flow Meter.

Reply to
Conor

Not very good on cars what do you mean just so I can pass on the info.

Reply to
kram

Have a look here.

MAF is a sensor that monitors the amount of air that enters the engine.Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

sounds like 2 problems here

1) engine revs up by itself, cure, renew the idle speed control valve (cleaning it out is only a tempary fix and will return) 2)dies at 70mph, could be many things this, when was the fuel filter changed last? or the MAF sensor as mentioned before
Reply to
ford_technical_