Escort Problem (Not mine, phew)

My neighbour's W-reg escort has a minor issue I've been informed...

Sometimes, if left for a couple of days and not used, when you attempt to start it, and turn the key, the revs don't kick in, so it's not 'firing'. A touch on the accelerator seems to get it going all the time (thus far). They say after using it in the morning, on returning to the car later that day at some point, it starts fine. It only appear to be if it's left overnight, ie: when the engine's cold.

Everything else is fine with their car so they say; they've still got the original battery, so they asked if they should buy a new one.

Although advisory of course, I suggested yes (just for eliminating the old one going dudd within the next year or two), but I suspect it's the spark plugs.

They don't think it is, as it had a service last March. I'd just change the spark plugs if it was my car, just for the sake of it, but they don't seem to want to. I'm not convinced it's the battery, but changing it's probably a good idea anyway is my guess as it's an old yin that's in it.

Am I correct in thinking it's likely the sparkies, or at worse HT leads? Or could it really be the battery?

Cheers,

Dave('s sometimes-a-tosser- neighbour.)

Reply to
David R

Assuming it is W reg at the front. escort plugs are meant to last for thirty thousand miles, so they are not changed at every service, you need to get the service history, then you can hazard a guess.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

IIRC correctly David you live up here in Scotland? It could very well be dampness. My Rover 214 is doing the very same when it is left for any lengthy period when raining. (Most of the time at the moment) Have a dry night and it starts without a hitch next day. Just a thought.

Reply to
gazzafield

Does the engine fall to idle correctly straight after it starts? i.e does it stall?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Yeah that's right.

Seems okay now, I've seen them in the morning and they say no more problems. Maybe it was just the cold after all. Or the fact it's a ford escort...

Reply to
David R

Nope, seems fine. No idle problems either actually. It's a low-mileage example considing it's age, so that's probably the only factor contributing to the fact ISCV hasn't packed in yet.

Reply to
Yozzi