Escort RS2000 Mk5 Tappets?

Hi!

I am getting concerned at the amount of noise coming from my engine upon cold starting. I believe it is the hydraulic tappets on the 2 litre 16v DOHC Zetec which are the cause, but can't be 100% sure. The engine isn't young at 104k miles ,but I do get it serviced regularly (every 7-8k tops) and I believe Mobil 1 fully synthetic is used during the oil change. Over the last year the majority of the miles have been motorway - hence a couple of extra thousand miles between services.

The tappetty noise is now apparent on cold start for anything up to about 10 minutes (or until the engine is at full operating temperature). After that point the noise stops almost completely and it idles nicely (almost purrs!). From warm start the noise isn't really evident at all.

It seems that the time it takes for the tappets to settle down has got worse since my last oil change... but that could coincide with a drop in temperature?

Anyway, I would appreciate some help and advice on what I can do? This car has cost me a fair amount in recent times (due to it being the 4x4 model and no parts being available off the shelf... if anywhere!) and I'm not feeling particularly rich at the moment! Hehe!

Thanks in advance...

DJR aka Ben! (djr@bigfoot_nospamthanks_.com)

Reply to
DJR

make sure it's not the chain tensioner first tappets are about £8 each last time I bought one

Reply to
dojj

Hi make sure you use ford oil filters as they have a non return valve fitted I had the same prob using other makes of filter & I recommend the use of slik 50 no doubt some will disagree! mine has 24000 on the clock (124000) and is as quite as a mouse runs very well .

PJJ

Reply to
PJJ

PJJ made the world a better place for us by saying..

Mine did this at 54000 miles.. it was because I used Magnatec in it. Shell "Helix Plus" semi synthetic is the answer, Mobil 1 is too good for an I-4 motor.. Semi synth will save you a fortune and your engine will love you for it.

HTH

Reply to
Pete M
2 litre 16v DOHC Zetec??? A Zetec it is NOT. Its a Sierra I4 engine with a 16v head, nothing whatsoever to do with a Zetec (which in my opinion is a good thing, Zetec's suck) The Sierra I4 8V it a great engine so I assume the 16V version is even better.

Marty

Reply to
Marty

Pete M made the world a better place for us by saying..

Reply to
PJJ