Escort timing belt change

Hi,

It's about time I changed the timing belt on my '96 escort (1.6 zetec). Is it as complicated as the Haynes manual makes out? (the last one I did was a Mk2 Cavalier :-) )

ie:

Do you need to lock the camshafts with special tool (aka a bit of thick steel)? Is locking the crankshaft position only achievable by removing the starter motor and jamming the flywheel?

The HM says to renew the tensioner spring - do these come with the belt as a kit or do they need to be ordered separately. Same question goes for the head cover gaskets I suppose...

Anything to watch out for / have to-hand that also needs replaced?

Thanks in advance,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

In message , Iain McLaren writes

Yes, I think a 5mm bar will do.

I take it you mean locking the bottom end to undo the crankshaft pulley bolt? If so then yes its probably the best way. I think you set the bottom end to TDC by using marks on the crank pulley on the early zetecs. Later zetecs use a pin which screws into the crankcase and abuts the crankshaft at TDC.

Yes you can buy kits with everything you need.

You might want to replace the aux drive belt while you've got it off.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Take the opportunity to check waterpump and alternator bearing and brushes as well just in case they are getting a little cranky....

Reply to
Chris Street

Thanks for the advice. I phoned the factors. There are belt kits available, but needless to say there are 2 variations - one with one idler and one with

  1. Rocker-cover gaskets are extra.

Ford say that if I give them the chassais number they might be able to tell which it needs before I start stripping it down....

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren