Escort with something loose

I've posted about this before but neer really got much of any replies so thought i'd try again as i'm working on the car this weekend.

Basically my 98 Escort has a niggling problem where something at the fron feels loose when setting off from a stop. It's most noticable if the car is facing up a hill and once the car begins to move forward I can feel a small clunk coming from the front as if there is some play in a component whihc is moving back slightly as the car moves forward.

It's been doing it for several months now and hasn't gotten aqny worse in that time nor has it affected the handling of the car it's merely annoying as i know it shouldn't be there.

I've had a look under the front at both sides and had a wrench on every nut and bolt i can see but nothing is loose.

One thing i have noticed is that the plate on the suspension strut on the passenger side that the anti roll link rod attaches to isn't pointing straight ahead as it is on the driver side, it is pointing more towards the engine. The plate itself ins't bent but if it's moved then it's the entire suspension strut that has twisted round.

Finally just to save people suggesting i look at these the wishbones were replaced this year as were the anti roll bar bushes and the roll bar link rods.

Reply to
tollermccallum

try taking the brake pads out and using a suitable anti squeal/rattle agent on the tops & bottoms of them, you might find they are moving in the callipers, ive had this a couple times on escorts.

Reply to
reg

SNIP Have you checked out your engine mountings/stabilisers? This kind of noise was a classic symptom of knackered stabiliser bar bushes on the original minis.

I don't think escorts are particularly prone to it, but it's worth having a look.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Still worth getting them checked..I have known some pattern drop links to fail within six months.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x