Espace interesting instruments

Having borrowed a mate's old Espace to help with house moving, I noticed a few interesting aspects of the instrument panel...

- all the warning lights come on at first then go out as they should.

- speedo wobbles but works. Milometer works. Rev counter works.

Then we get to the interesting bit.

- Temperatuire gauge is totally dead, below 'cold'.

- The other unmarked needle(?) is also dead.

- The fuel gauge sometimes reads 1/4 full and works it's way down over 10 mins or so to totally empty, or just sticks on empty. The low fuel light lights up when it gets to the redline.

If it was all dead, or came and went, I'd suspect the earthing, but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Reply to
PC Paul

Matthew Millichap

Never had problems with peugeots. Solid little cars and take all you can throw at them without arguing in my experience.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Service statistics from them dispute that, maybe you've been one of the fortunate ones. They're hard on parts, and your wallet. For the slightly extra outlay, better off with something Japanese, higher chance of being fully reliable and worth the extra outlay.

Reply to
David R

I'd half expect those gauges to have a regulated supply- ie not just to run of the the battery voltage. I'd therefore check the regulator.

Our Espace speedo also "wobbled"- I never worried about it in the 13 or so years we had the car.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

In news:iJcRg.41238$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, David R wittered on forthwith;

I've owned quite a few French cars and never had any major problems with any of them. I've also owned Jap cars and had nothing but trouble.

Besides, bits for French cars tend to be quite cheap if you know where to look, Jap parts can be insanely overpriced.

At least French cars have a bit of style, other than the MX-5, 240Z and Toyota 2000GT there's never been a good looking Jap car.

Reply to
Pete M

I'll see if I can find a diagram for the dash.. anybody know if it's dificult to get in behind it on an Espace?

What is the unmarked gauge supposed to show?

As for the wobbling speedo, that didn't worry me when I saw the state of the rest of it. Lets just say I carried the contents of a shed and loads of trays of plants in it and didn't sweep it out afterwards. and there was no way you'd ever notice I hadn't.

Reply to
PC Paul

On the 1993 style model (Phase 2, not the box like phase 1), it was a couple of screws under the cowl, which then sort of lifted toward you and hinged it back, then it lifted off. There were then about 4 screws that fixed the instrument cluster.

The wiring diagrams for Renaults leave a lot to the imagination.

Ours (a 1993 model) had an oil gauge that, as I recall, wasn't labelled. From memory, it read high when the ignition was turn on but 0 when the engine was running (this was normal).

We had one for near 13 years and loved it. A very useful car that still looked smart when it was sold and still drove very well. I only recall it letting us done once- the battery failed after about 5 or 6 years.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

That sounds surprisingly uncomplicated for a Renault ;-)

This is definitely a box on wheels - H-reg, so 1991 I think.

No comment.

The outside is fine. It's the inside that looks about a thousand years old...

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
PC Paul

"Pete M" wrote in message news:2QdRg.23556$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

The market is narrowing quite a lot. Honda have went from being completely excellent, to just 'very good'. Most of the French brands have 'caught on' to their reputation and tried a wee bit harder, as can be seen from instruments within the cars, and the way in which electronics are integrated. French cars earned their reputation in the past 20 years, and it's just stuck with them.

I'd have a shitey clio over a fiat anyday though still (excluding the ciquento!). The past history of the major two French car brands leaves something to be desired, so why bother with the risk in the first place? Surveys are notoriously inaccurate, but at least they have been a rough guide - Peugeot-(Citreon) are always bottom, Renault not far off, just seems to be how it is.

On a personal note, I find the French styling not very stylish at all, but their prices and styling of most of their MPVs are pretty good, so I dare say if on a budget and required one, it'd be a French one; still think second hand purchasing of just about any other car brand is better than any French car. They don't depreciate like a lead balloon for no reason!

Reply to
David R

I thrashed the arse off a 1.1 peugeot 205 for 5.5 years and spent a total of =A3150 on it in wear and tear before someone wrote it off. Ive owned a Celica of the same age for 2 years and spent over 2 grand in replacement parts.

I find all cars have varying levels of lifespan on parts -when you buy a 5 or 7 series BMW it lasts forever, buy a 3 series and it rattles and breaks quite often. But i think the base-model euroboxes are agricultural and last forever. Or they used to. I'd never buy a newer car anyway, unless forced to, styling went out of the window as of about '98 except for some of the very top end marques.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

David R (david snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed. You really do have to wonder at a manufacturer who actually manage to spell their name incorrectly on the cars they make, don't you?

Reply to
Adrian

:D TypO mister adriatic

Reply to