Estate car sizes?

I've got to replace my old Peugeot 405 diesel.

I'm looking at any eight year old diesel estate >= 40mpg.

Does anyone know a good place to find how large different estates are inside? Just some figure like the internal volume (preferably the internal load volume) in litres would do.

Regards

Reply to
Dave English

For the VED?

As for the fuel consumption, my petrol Saab 9-3 returns over 40 to the gallon because of the way I drive it over the routes that I drive it on...

I'd try Parkers' website, but you'll have to be looking at individual models. What I would also suggest, however, is that the shape of the volume is arguably more important than the total capacity. That means some leg work...

If you need clever use of space and nice touches, I'd point you towards a Volvo 850. Probably the TDI for consumption.

If you need lots of space with fewer thrills, the Astra or Mondeo would do nicely.

Reply to
DervMan

In message , DervMan writes

Well done

No, I'm aiming for that age because the AA only do European recovery up to 13 years of age.

With the 405 (non-turbo) got about 45mpg, no matter how I drove. I reckon Over the last 5 years 85K miles must have cost me about £8K, if a petrol had given nearer to 30mpg that could have cost £3 or £4K more.

Fuel can only get dearer over the next five years :-(

I will just go back & have a look at government figures for average vs maximum mpg.

Unfortunately Saab looks to be out for me as there are no 9-3 estates until 05 & 9-5b estates look too thirsty.

& it only gives external dimensions :-(

Yes I know

Thanks, but the last of those were 1997 & I don't think a 2.5 TDI would be economical enough.

Thanks, yes. Never had a Ford, a Mondeo would probably have to be a particularly good deal to attract me. I think that the Peugeot 406 may be the easiest to find, I'd like to try a D-4D Avensis but they're not easy to find.

Regards

Reply to
Dave English

Eh?

You're about on the combined cycle figure then. In petrol cost per mile terms, 40 mpg on ordinary unleaded is around the same as 45 mpg on ordinary diesel. It's worth bearing that in mind.

Annnd also to bear in mind the likelihood that a more modern diesel _may_ require expensive fuel system repairs. This is a big may of course; I looked long and hard at the 9-3 Sports Saloon with the 1.9 litre Fiat / Alfa Romeo engine. The average cost of servicing these is a little high, but if you look under the headline statistics, the routine service costs are low. It's just that a reasonably high proportion require expensive repairs from time to time... :)

As will the price differential between diesel and petrol.

Already done... :)

It will be; official consumption is over 46 to the gallon, marginally lower (i.e. uses less fuel) than your 405. The 850 uses a VAG TDI donk.

The V70 is marginally thirstier, 42 to 43 to the gallon; but these are all over 40.

You'd be wise to at least compare the Mondeo back to back with other machines. They're huge inside, they drive well and they're inexpensive to fix - see above regarding the Saab 9-3 I looked at.

The Volvo S40 isn't big inside, but it has respectable use of the available space. Throw in the Focus with the 1.6 petrol engine (although the 1.8 shows 38 to the gallon) too...

Reply to
DervMan

For used cars, you might go to local dealerships and see if they hav

any older trade INS that they've gotten lately. They typically sel these cars to local used car dealers or junk them, but they might Ca Donations Connecticut one as a write off. I don't have any suggestion if you're looking for a new car, though

-- mikedevidh

Reply to
mikedevidh

Reply to
mikedevidh

Mondeo or Focus Estate, buy ex-fleet, don,t worry about high mileage, my last three have all done well over 150k without any major problems.No offense but cars are not made for towing, just cause you can put a hitch on it doesn't mean you can tow with it. Buy a SUV with a towing package.

---------------------------------------------------------- donate a car to charity - together everyone achieves more!

'car donation in ct'

mikedevidh

That depends on the car. Most large cars are just as civilised to tow with as most 4x4s. Although Turbodailys are particularly good :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

[...]

----------------------------------------- ?Let?s dream big? lets dream positive? lets be determined and committed? let's not forget our values and ethics? lets be firmly grounded to our roots? and let success follow us."

mikedevidh

Mondeo or Focus Estate, buy ex-fleet, don,t worry about high mileage, my last three have all done well over 150k without any major problems.It depends on what you mean by good MPG, but I have a Vauxhall Zafira (which is basically an Astra estate that's been stretched up) - and for what it is, it's not bad MPG and I only pay £280 a year in insurance....

Now if you have used car or never longer use of them so you can 'car donation in nj'

ronaldo