EU etc

No 'Apparently' about it. If you can start it, select 'Drive', move around, steer, and brake, you pass. But Michigan, where I lived, has initiated a graduated licence for youngsters, realising that letting 16-year-olds loose on the freeway right after they get their licence is not a good plan. Driving is taught in schools.

Reply to
Davey

I go dancing regularly in a group which are virtually all pensioners. The DJ took a straw poll before the vote, and mine was the only hand which went up for Remain.

Ironically, a fair number of them take several breaks per year in (Yuk) Benidorm.

Reply to
Gordon H

But it's not just the driving side of it. No identity cards in the UK, unlike most of the EU, so the UK driving licence is allowed as an identity check here. One issued in another country may not have the same sort of security checks. And so on.

I'd say there will be lots of this sort of thing that will emerge as and when we leave. The vast majority wondering just why something that looks so simple on the surface will change. Because most voted on simple things without having a clue as to the implications. Like 40 years worth of laws and regs having to be changed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's right. My wife and I both held Dutch driving licences, and had to take UK tests when we moved here in the late 70s.

Reply to
Ramsman

I'm 70, and voted Remain. My wife would also have voted Remain, but couldn't because she's not a UK citizen, despite having worked and paid taxes here for the last 40 years.

Reply to
Ramsman

That's the same as the US. We held Green Cards for almost 30 years, but could not even vote in local Council elections.

Reply to
Davey

I'm also old, and by nature most of my friends are too. And nearly all of them expressed a desire to remain. Only one to leave. My family all wanted to remain.

But then I live in London. But was born and raised in Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How annoying is it that Nicola Sturgeon seek guarantees on rights of EU nationals....But ony for those EU nationals living in Scotland! Yet she is a Westminster MP happy enough to govern and impose rules for the whole of UK.

Reply to
johannes

Reply to
Davey

Very

Reply to
johannes

Since driving relies much on autonomic reflexes, that may not be as easy as first thought. Of course I know in my head to drive manual... Of course I know in my head to drive automatics...

Switching from manual to automatics: Can't find the clutch, can't stop the damn'd thing.

Switching from automatic to manual: Why does the car starts kangaroo hopping when I drive up the lights?

Reply to
johannes

She isn't a Westminster MP.

Reply to
PJK

Never mind, she is a politician and Scotland is not a 'land'. Still very annoying that she didn't include all EU nationals living in UK.

Reply to
johannes

She isn't in the UK government. She is a member of the opposition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't have a problem driving a manual - even although I don't much these days. And I left foot brake on an auto too.

Not really any different from remembering where the light switch is on different cars.

It's more fun if you have two cars of the same model - one auto, one manual. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That I know, but the ambition of any politician is that they want to govern and impose rules. As she has said herself in the case of EU nationals living in Scot(land).

Reply to
johannes

Sorry - should have said her party is part of the opposition.

Well, she is the First Minister of the Scottish Parliament. So more in a position to give the view of that than any other.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same here. My current daily car happens to be an auto, the next could easily be a manual. And the classic car for fun is a manual.

When I lived in the States, I often had a manual for my car, but drove hundreds of rental cars, all manuals.

I think I'll pass on that one, thanks!

Reply to
Davey

Then there are the different ways you may start an automatic car:

Obviously, the starter is blocked unless the shifter is in Park or Neutral. Sometimes allowed in Neutral, sometimes it must be in Park. And on some cars (or states), the car will only start in park and with with foot on the brake pedal. I suppose all this wont be a problem if you own the car, but with an occasinal automatic rental car...

Reply to
johannes

I've got a brace of M reg Nissan 200SX, both blue, identical grey leather interiors, one manual one auto. Occasionally I have to make a frantic stab for the clutch when pulling up at a junction and I find I'm braking it down to a stall.

But the thing I just can't cope with is the Mazda 323F which has the control stalks fitted the wrong way round. I keep indicating with the bloody wipers. The indicators should be on the right on a RHD car as they are then still to hand while changing gear or using the hand brake with the left.

Reply to
Peter Hill