Excessive Cigarette Taxes

The state cigarette tax increases taking place nation wide are getting ridiculous. The state politions have found an easy way to raise money for their pet projects. So called pork barrel spending is not only a national level political problem, but a state level problem as well.

The tax is supposed to be used to fund education here in Texas where I live. The lottery came in about 9 years ago and it was supposed to fund education, the politions said, but to date only 9 billion has gone to education and 18 billion to the Texas State general fund(to pay politions salaries). Another promise by politions to get people to vote the way they want them to vote.

As usual when one state does something to increase tax revenue the others will soon follow. Case and point the lottery. So if your state has not raised the cigarette tax since Jan. 2007, they are probably thinking about it.

That is why I buy my cigarettes online. It is easy and they are delivered to my mailbox. The biggest problem with buying cigarettes online is the Jenkins Act, which states in part, online cigarette retailers have to give the state taxing authorities your information about your purchases so the state can send you a bill for the state cigarette tax that you owe on your online purchase. Not to worry, it is thought that only 5% of online retailers report voluntarily.

Companies based in foreign countries do not report and cannot be forced to comply with this American law. Indian reservations do not report because they claim to be sovereign nations who do business as their tribal councils decide to. Yet other retailers offer to let you pick up your cigarettes or they will mail them to you at cost of shipping charged by carrier.

Joe West webmaster

and author of thefree report You Can Save Money Buying Cigarettes Online!. You cansmoke without going broke.

Reply to
sqqnckvvlfuvkmc6u