Exhaust durability...

I've noticed that just about every dead exhaust I've seen is rusted through at the joints, hardly ever in a length of pipe or a box.

Since the sheet/tube metal seems to be galvanised I guess it's the non-galvanised nature of the welds that's causing it to be more rust prone there.

So next time I get a new exhaust should I get some zinc paint/spray and go over the joints to make it live longer?

Or am I wrong about the causes?

I'd also think the most corrosive elements are inside the exhaust acting on the side of the weld I can't get to - nothing I can do about that without getting a stainless exhaust, I expect :-(

Reply to
PC Paul

The welds on the box joints tend to crack rather than rust.

No, it'll get burned off.

Yup. It rusts from the inside out. It's caused by water vapour condensing as the exhaust cools.

Reply to
Conor

If you do intend keeping the car stainless makes a deal of sense. Perhaps if only for the rear parts which rot first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you are right about the cause - the joint of the pipe into the rear box, or rather the end of the box itself, seems to be the weak point. But I suspect it corrodes through from the inside.

very nasty if the front of the box drops, and digs in, while you are driving along .....

Reply to
R. Murphy

Most cars I get haven't got 20,000 miles left in them never mind a 10 year stainless exhaust...

Bangernomics works for me!

Reply to
PC Paul