Exhaust Leak - Reasked

Hi,

I wrote a rather mixed message last time that I dont think was understood properly. So Im going to try again.

Now, the Catalytic Converter on my car (apparently) is blocked, which has caused the flange before it to leak.

I would guess that's why I havent noticed any major problems with driving over 50 mph :-)

Obviously the exhaust leak is a symptom of the blocked catalytic converter. However, with a blocked cat, and the leak just before, what kind of problems are likely to show up?

Perhaps I could just have asked the question about having an exhaust leak, what problems are likely to show?

I can cruise fine no problem. I think as I said in a previous thread, its actually hard to keep the car under 70mph some days. It seems hard to control the speed of the car. Acceleration up a hill or from stand still is similarly difficult. It feels Im having to thrash the engine more than I should have to.

Nissan Primera, 2.0, 1994, Automatic.

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

I'm not being funny, but I think this question was asked before ! If I had a blocked cat and a leaking exhaust I would go and get a new one fitted ! Why are you bothering to investigate the effect of something that will fail the MOT and require replacement, anyway !

Andy Pandy To e-mail, address hopefully, self-explanatory !

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Well, I've got six months left on my MOT... And yes, the question was asked before. i asked it. In fact that's why I put in the title "Reasked".

The advice I got from my mechanic was due to the price, £200 for a cat, unless you have that kind of cash, dont buy one until it gets exceptionally worse - ie 50mph limit.

So, yes, while the cat does need replacing (for the MOT), I would like to attribute the current sluggish performance to something. If I can hold off buying a cat for a few months, I'd prefer to do that and maybe have my brakes done instead...

Kind of, I can justify a cat in six months, but can I justify it now?

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Sounds like a partly blocked cat, some performance loss & some leakage. You're fuel consumption probably won't love it either

Reply to
duncanwood

OK, that sounds good so far.

Yup, performance loss, although more around acceleration rather than cruising, got the leakage already, and absoltely abysmal fuel consumption.

Plus with the MOT six months away, I think that's more than enough justification to get it sorted now.

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Missus had blocked cat, I left it cause it was expensive. Then she broke down had to go back to dealers blah blah blah, lotsa money to pit it on diagnostic machine cause = Cat. Bite the bullet now, I wish I had.

Reply to
John Woodhall

I got Friday off work. Getting cat changed then. I can spend Saturday celebrating in my nice quiet car! :-)

Oh its been a long long time.

Chow Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean