Exhaust Problem?

I have and 1996 P reg Vauxhall Astra 1.6 GLSi the rear end of the exhaust seems to make a weird puffing sound(hard to explain). This sound is not there when you first turn the car on and only starts up after a little while or if you rev the car, you can then hear it all the time.

When driving the car it feels lumpy and sometimes it feels like it's losing power and wants to cut out when the revs are low, but it still has plenty of power and is not mis-firing.

Two weeks ago a new EGR valve was fitting as this turned out to be faulty, was bring on the warning lamp, and was causing the car to mis-fire.

Does anyone know what the symtoms of a faulty exhaust are, i have to point out that the exhaust has been checked and doesn't have a hole in it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
du

It sounds as though one cylinder is not firing, or possibly has low compression and/or a slightly burnt valve, so one cylinder fails at low speed, giving the puffing sound and picks up when running a bit faster so there is no major power loss.

To diagnose it I would either disconnect each injector (if you can) and check the speed drop/recovery sounds the same on each cylinder, or expose the ends of the ht leads and short each one to earth , again compare the sound and engine speeds. When you have established which one is the problem you can investigate better. First checks would be an air leak, maybe at the inlet gasket or vacuum pipe connection, then move on to plug, coil/spark, then compression then valve sealing.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

since you've had a misfire the cat could have melted causing a blockage, ive seen it a couple of times, it melts the monolyth from the unburnt fuel, the exhaust is trying to force out whats left of the cat creating a blockage in the exhaust, prolly worth un-bolting the cat and looking down it.

Reply to
reg

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that we have been through the leads check and even had a compression test and i was told that the compression was very good, so sticking valves was ruled out.

Reply to
du

Thanks for replying. Does this mean the catalytic convertor needs replacing then? sound expensive, if the cat is taken off what should I be looking for when i look down it?

Reply to
du

if its melted or broken up then a replacement is required, prolly circa £130 shop about you might get it cheaper, if the monolyth is in one piece you should see a honey come effect similiar to the one here

reg

So have you checked the cylinder balance or not?

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sorry not really sure what that is, tonight the car now has another problem on top of this. Off side front indicator, side repeater light, and tail indicator lamp all staying lit.

Reply to
du