Exhaust smoke

Hi new to this group. Just got a 07 Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 17,000 miles - my first Diesel car Noticed a lot of smoke at road junction. Am I right in thinking it is just the catayltic converter burning off residue?

Thanks

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

In message , Colin Jackson writes

What colour of smoke is it? As a rule, black smoke is unburnt diesel. light blue smoke is burning oil and white smoke is usually water vapour.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul

It looked blackish

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

Too much diesel.

Reply to
Nige

Oooh, this could get expensive on a TDCi. Pop the question in the Mondeo Enthusiast Group website forum. You'll get a range of possibilities. If its injectors though, get ready for a £500 trousering. Could just be the EGR valve though which is a DIY job or even a blocked air cleaner if the servicing isn't up to scratch. My EGR valve was so caked up that 60% of it was blocked. Did the inlet manifold as well. A clean up with a rag and a stick and some brake cleaner made it into a different car.

Reply to
Conor

But not presumably at the OP's expense on a two-year old car?

Blocked EGR or dirty air filter would be unlikely on a 17K miler.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

More often than not it's because the car hasn't been driven hard enough. Give it a decent redline thrapping and it'll clear up in no time.

Basically, the particulate filtery thingummybob in the exhaust needs a bit of full throttle action to get rid of all the soot'n's**te that has built up in there.

Motorway sliproads tend to be the ideal place for this, full chat in

2nd, same again in 3rd, then wander down the motorway to the next junction, turn round and full throttle it again on the sliproad.

You'll get comedic amounts of smoke from it the first time...

Reply to
Pete M

It sounds like too much diesel is being injected, so the engine management is a bit stuffed. On normal diesel cars you do NOT see black smoke when they operate efficiently - as in all the diesel is ignited with none left over. Sometimes people will bugger about with the car in the mistaken belief that a cheap nasty tuning box will provide extra power, when all it does is increases the fuel line pressure. This injects extra diesel, wears out the fuel pump and causes damage to the EGR, DPF, exhaust manifold and the turbo charger. It cogs it all up with soot, which is why people with overpriced crappy Diesel Tuning boxes suffer from black smoke! A Diesel Tuning box isn't recommended as it doesn't work like a remap. All it does is intercept the signals from the ECU to the fuel pump and turn them right up. So you have *NO* protection to the engine using a Diesel Tuning box during a cold start or warm up. It's one way to ruin your car engine!

I would suggest you take it to a garage and have it put through a proper diagnosis session - then repaired.

It could be caused by your air filter being clogged up and never previously changed - so buy a new one if yours looks black!

One point to remember is to avoid Diesel Tuning boxes, they cost from £300 upwards and cost about £20 to make, so there is a huge rip-off factor involved. People using them never keep them long, they ruin the fuel pump, fuel line and injectors by raising pressure levels above what is recommended. They can also be detected by Police now during vehicle examinations. So if you crash and try to remove any tuning device, the ECU will store a number of values to show a Tuning Device was in use.

Get it sorted! I have the exact same car and mine does NOT give off any black smoke - so it does have a serious problem.

Reply to
Roger

You are wrong to dismiss this straight away! The air filter gets filthy after about 6 months. The EGR can be clogged up at this point, it depends on what the previous owner did. If he had one of those crappy Diesel Tuning boxes on it, it would cause damage to the EGR valve as it causes too much diesel to be injected in an attempt to get more power. That clogs up the EGR, just look at the many forums and complaints from people using Diesel Tuning boxes.

Reply to
Roger

Thanks guys, I think it is the particulate effect as I this is the first time in 1500 miles

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

Everything Roger writes is nonsense. Ignore it.

Seymour

Reply to
Seymour Bush

Nearly everything, but if Roger wrote that the sun rose in the East you could safely probably assume his compass was broken.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

Oh, sorry, I must have missed where the OP said he had just completed the Paris-Dakar in it.

Oh, wait; he didn't.

The service interval for an '07 Mondy diesel air filter is 3 years/37,500 miles BTW...

Likewise, I missed where the OP said that it was down on performance, as it surely would be with a blocked EGR.

You really do post the most inaccurate bollocks, even by the standards of Usenet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

:-)

The worry is that some poor innocent will believe him one day.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If the EGR is blocked then no performance problem, except NOx goes up at high fueling, the fault condition is the EGR valve cruds up and won't close properly. Then the exhaust recirculation dilutes the inlet oxygen whilst the fuel is injected for a full charge of air, hence black smoke.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Indeed. The best plan of action for the mondy, which are prone to stuck / blocked EGR valves is either a new one (and then another new one repeat ad infinitum) or a blanking kit and software update.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Agreed. The technique I have used over many years is the one where you go into third on the motorway, floor it and leave it sat on the limit foot pressed into the carpet for about a half a mile (or until smoke subsides). A few years ago our mechanic said it could take several(!) miles for some of the company Peugeots to clear their smoke. I've only ever seen the benefit of this if I've been driving gently for few hundred miles allowing soot to built up in the first place.

To avoid all this, I usually work my diesels hard..great excuse!

Reply to
Zathras

Why would you buy a new one when all you have to do is clean out the existing one?

Reply to
Conor

In my experience they don't clean satisfactorarly without a dunk in the ultra sonic bath, and i doubt the OP has one, therefore replacement is the only cure.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Where can I get one of these Diesel Tuning Boxes then?

;-)

Zimmy