Failure mode of electric fuel pumps?

In general terms, what is the most common mode of failure of electric fuel pumps? More noisy operation followed by sudden total failure?

When a car fires OK but occasionally won't start, is this indicative of imminent fuel pump failure or more likely electric/ignition problems? (Audi A6, 1995). I would have expected fuel pump problems to materialise at any time, not just when starting. No problems with this car once started.

Reply to
Gerry

I have known FI cars to be picky about the angle they are parked at if the tank is a little low, you park them on a slope and the next day they won't go, add two gallons and away they go, but I think this is rare.

Once pumps fail they stay failed. I have had two fail on a Ford, they both became noisy for a very short while before complete stop.

In your case I would be looking at air leaks, battery condition, general service history and the like first.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful