"false" air into multipoint injection system - catalytic exhaust pod damage ?

Hello all,

I'm sorry that I post about this subject directly, but I fear that looking for this kind of information might prove difficult and slow. Maybe someone has prompt knowledge about this problem, and I should avoid causing more damage immediately.

What happened is that I noticed a much higher fuel consumption during the last 650 km. My car has a catalytic exhaust pod, and a multipoint injection on an eurosuper petrol engine.

Examining the engine I noticed today that the clamp around the rubber tube from the air filter assy to the engine intake wasn't tightened around the neck of the injection system, a tube with at the entrance the throttle valve and airmass flow gauge.

Some "false air" might have rendered the petrol gas/air mixture leaner. If that would heat the engine, outlet valves, exhaust gases and the catalytic pod, is it possible that damage has been caused to any of the engine and exhaust components ?

Much troubled and very frightened for my stupid mistake,

Many thanks in advance and for yor attention,

Edwin

Reply to
edwin

Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

The oxygen sensor in the exhaust would have told the engine management that the engine was running lean, which would have caused extra fuel to be injected.

Reply to
Adrian

Which could make it laggy & worse fuel consumption.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Let's hope you're both right.

Thanks,