Fast idling - consequences?

I just had a routine 'Inspection' service done by my local garage on my N-reg BMW 328 SE. In addition they replaced a broken air hose somewhere which had suddenly started causing stalling. But now I have two faults:

- Idling is now a bit too fast, about 700/750 rpm instead of 500/600

- When stopping/starting in traffic, I can no longer break to a truly smooth halt. At the very last moment, there's a 'grab'.

I'm no auto expert, but I'm wondering whether in fact the fast idling could also be the cause of the grabbing effect?

Unlike previous cars, I could see no means of adjusting the idling speed. Is it 'computer-controlled'? If so, what is involved in adjusting it please?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

700-750 is the correct idle speed. 5-600 is too slow.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Idle on these is not adjustable

Reply to
mrcheerful

OK, thanks both. Any thoughts on the slight 'grabbing' please? My speculation was that, if the idle speed was a bit too fast, on releasing the accelerator and pressing the brake (this is an auto model), the brakes might have to be more forceful than previously, preventing the very smooth stop I've been used to.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

it may well be that the previous, incorrect idle, suited you and the car better. A few days with the new speed and you will get used to it.

Reply to
mrcheerful

I have a friend who once claim that he preferred having his old slippy clutch because it was 'harder to stall'.

15mph in 2nd gear @ 5500rpm and a strong smell seemed a small price to pay for a nice high biting point...

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Is this the roll out change to first gear? If so, sounds like the idle sensor is out of adjustment - on my 528 if you come to a halt with your foor still on the throttle even slightly - by left foot braking - you'll get a thump into first.

Try pulling the throttle *up* with your foot and see if this makes a difference. It might just be cable adjustment - if indeed it has a cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)