FCR for a 306?

Anybody know what Fault Code Reader works with a 306 XSi 2.0 8V 1997 P reg ?

I bought a Drapers £20 flash code reader, but it doesn't work with my 306. Anybody have a cheap-ish code reader that flashes codes on same or similar

306 to mine?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
thalamus

If it is anything like my M plate 405, then you just ground the signal line for a few seconds and the dashboard ECU light flashes out the code.

For convenience I use the Gunsons module from Halfords simply becasue is is easier to read out under the bonnet where the connector is. If your Draper one does not work then return it. Are you sure you have connected it to the correct place? it took me a while to find the right connector.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I finally got an answer from Drapers, apparently the unit I bought doesn't work with my 306, even tho' the box said it did. I've returned the product already. I wish they'd put the correct specs on the box. I've been searching the net for 2 weeks solid now finding out how to flash the codes on my car. I think it's easier to moonwalk on water!

The connector on mine is a 2-pin green connector on top of the ECU box to the best of my knowledge. I may visit Halfords to check out the unit you mention. How much was it?

Reply to
thalamus

On my '97 "new" 1.9TD 306, the "diagnostics" connector is an OBD type multipin connector located in the dashboard fusepanel to the right of the steering wheel. Note the use of quotes around diagnostics, as with an XUD-9TE engine there isn't an ECU.

For what it's worth - here's my decoding of Mr Haynes' manual done in 2002. Note that my copy the Haynes Manual doesn't have any information for the HDi engine.

3 TDC sensor & ECU (Bosch/Magneti Marelli) 4 Chassis Gnd 5 Signal Gnd 7 ECU (Bosch/Magneti Marelli) 8 Output of cooling fan relay (+12v when cooling fan is on) 13 To pin 14 on airbag control unit 15 ECU (Bosch/Magneti Marelli) 16 Battery power

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Thanks for the info.

Mine has an "ECU" and I do need to read the codes somehow.

Reply to
thalamus

The Gunsons module was less than £20 a fewyears ago. Agian make sure you get the right one. As others have said later models have a different interface with a multi-pin connector inside the car. My connector is under the bonnet, is green with a purple inner and two pins. You need to find, by trial and error which you need to connect to. The gunsons manual is no help here!

Before you buy the module, you could try this. Take a sidelamp bulb connect one side to chassis and the other to a length of wire. the bulb is only a protection device to save blowing any fuses.Switch on the ignition and connect the wire to one of the connector pins for a few seconds, disconnect and view the ecu light on the dash. it should flash once, gap and then twice (this is code 12) meaning start of download. Connect the bulb again for 3 seconds ish and then off again. The next code will be flashed.

if it is 11 than this means the end of the download eg no error codes.

If there is another code, write it down and get the next one and so on. when you get to 11, that is the end.

To clear the codes, connect the wire for 10 seconds, disconnect and switch off the ignition.

If you want me to decode the codes then email me at bobdotminchinatrokedotcodotuk and I'll look them up for you.

good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Many thanks for your valued help. I will try the bulb test and let you know the result. I have extensive lists of ECU fault codes but if there's one I don't know I'll let you know. Again many thanks.

Reply to
thalamus