Fiat Bravo Wiring Problem

HELPPPPPPP please!

I have a Fiat Bravo SX 1.6 (R) reg 1998.

I have had a dodgy connection behind my steering wheel for a while now, something I have managed to bodge but now it really does need a proper fix as it is getting worse and dangerous!

It started with a similar problem to that of the indicator stalk problem, where the lights and heater cut out. I changed thsi a while ago and when doing so realised that it wasnt the unit that was a problem but one of the set of wires that plugs into it. The left hand black longish plug with about 5 wires in it has lost its 2 plastic clips which hold it in place, so the connection has become dodgy. I managed to solve this (or so i thought) using gaffa tape.. however the connection must of still been not quiet right as heat has now made the black plug melt slightly around one of the contacts and so the connection is now even worse! Gaff tape will no long solve my problem!

I knew I would have to fix it properly at some point and that point seems to of come!

My question is, where can i get hold of one of these connection blocks, I spoke to my mate who works at a fiat parts place and he doesnt seem to think they sell that as a spare part, I have considered scrap yardsm but wouldnt know what to call the part properly to describe it!

Any healp/advice would be really really helpful.. i is quite scary to be driving at night on the motorway when your lights and fan go off and my wife and 2 year old also use the car to get to work!!

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

Hmm, so you do need help :-)

Many car connectors are available as repair kits; you get the connector pre-fitted with short lengths of wire to connect to the original wiring. This connection must be done properly. The motor trade tend to prefer soldered connections covered with heat shrink sleeving. There is no reason why a properly crimped connection cannot be used however.

I would first check if a repair connector is available from a dealer.

If not, and you don't want to use a scrap yard, try emailing someone breaking one for parts on eBay.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

There's no need to stick with the same type of plug/socket arramgment except that if you ever need to replace the plug in part you'll need to replace that plug too.

These people sell a variety of multi-pole plugs and sockets.

But like all car connectors you really need the correct crimp tool to fit them. Although some use solder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately in this case i need to get teh exact same connector, as the plug (which is broken) plugs into a fixed part of the car, so the socket cant be changed.

I am looking on ebay from breakers, so fingers crossed!!!

Reply to
Thomarse

So you're certain the problem is with the plug and not the socket? If only life was so easy. An overheating plug will usually damage the socket too.

The above people do bulkhead etc mounting connectors in the list I gave you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its a fiat - nothing is straigh forward!... The indicator stalk unit is one BIG unit, which has a hold in the middle.. you haveto take teh steering wheel sna dairbag off to then slide the entir unit off over the steering shaft,

It is inton this unit that the plug connects and so i need the same plug type. If theunit is damaged then I am ok, as i have a spare one of those! (previous problems)

I will follow the breaker route and if that fails, I will permanantly solder the wires on and heatshrink the connections I think...

Thanks for all the advice though!

Reply to
Thomarse

Transit stalks used to suffer from the melting problem. We used to cut the connector off, and crimp on some small female blades to suit the blades on the stalk connector. Wasn't pretty, but it done the job, and we never had any come back.

Getting the right plug new is unlikely, so only practical option is from a scrap yard.

Reply to
moray

seems to 'have'

Your 2 year old should not be driving.

Reply to
Mark W

I want to know how he gets his 2 year old to work.

My kids are lazy buggers and wont do anything.

Reply to
Paul Edwards

In the car. Duh.

Reply to