Fiat Marea Weekend 20v-What parts to keep/sell?

I have a 1997 Fiat Marea Weekend ELX (estate) with the 5 cylinder engine. The cambelt is due a change and the heater matrix is leaking. Even though I can do these jobs myself the time and money involved isn't worth the effort so I'm going to break the car and flog the bits, I just need to find some sort of on-line selling site ;-)

Anyhoo, what parts are worth keeping to sell and what should I just take to the scrapman? From a quick look at eBay it would seem the projector style headlights go for a bit of cash to Bravo/Brava owners wanting to change the looks. Is the 5 cylinder/20v worth taking out? Is it the same as that in the Coupe? Any common electrical parts across the Fiat range that regularly fail?

Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

how much do you want for the complete car?

Reply to
Rob

Can probably flog the engine whole to someone who has blown theirs up by neglecting to change the cambelt :) Idle control valves tend to get sticky, headlights as you say are good for Bravo owners (make sure you include the loom for them too, seem to recall the sidelights need some imagination to hook up), engine is the same as that in the coupe though obviously without the turbo. Rear disks and calipers would be useful to Bravo owners who want to do a rear disk conversion, centre console with armrest is another Bravo mod. Power steering pump / rack can be costly so I'd flog them, alternator, assorted bits of trim (what colour is it?), possibly doors/body panels/bonnet for if someone has had a bump in a similar coloured one. Electric window and central locking motors, stalk switchgear, steering wheel

  • airbag and airbag ECU, now I come to think of it it could be a nice little earner :) Oh, and alloy wheels if you have them - someone always has a kerbed/buckled one that needs replacing :) Are they heated seats? If so, another potential one.... I'll have the centre console off you if you can post :)

Hellraiser...............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Another thing I forgot, if you have the red key, then the ECU, locks, etc might be a useful purchase for someone who has lost theirs, considering Fiat's bargain £800 price :)

Hellraiser.............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Does it have the CD-changer to match the standard head unit?

I don't suppose it has leather, either?

Hmmmm, can't think of any bits I need, really.

But yes, the headlamps, front bumper will sell to the Bravo boys, as will the door handles. Obviously, alloys are worth having (if yours has 'em)

Don't think there's much else, other than, obviously, the engine / box - which are shared with the Bravo / Marea / Coupe.

Reply to
SteveH

Although I bet it'll go as I'm driving it into the garage tomorrow.

Yeah, I noticed an eBay auction mentioning the sidelight loom came with the lights.

I assumed the compression ratio would be different?

That'll make it fun towing it to the scrapyard. And it's downhill all the way :-/

Grey on the outside, blue on the inside.

That's what I'm hoping ;-) I've got the time and the space and the metal recyclers is only a mile away.

You deserve it for all that info. Bung us an addresss and I'll send it for the postage. The email address works.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

John Greystrong (johnny snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not all 20v Coupes were turbos.

Tasteful.

Reply to
Adrian

I saw that on another Fiat eBay auction, I have 3 keys including the red one so that's good news. So I need the ECU, door and ignition locks, anything else? Is there a receiver coil round the ignition barrel?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Yes.

Don't suppose you'd consider flogging me one of the blue keys, would you?

Reply to
SteveH

Before Hellraisers post, about 200quid. Now I know I can sell more bits than I thought it's probably going to make me 500quid.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Ta.

Er, dunno. How much is 1 key on it's own worth?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Well, if you could get the cambelt done on the cheap and do the matrix yourself, so long as the car doesn't have scary miles and is in decent condition, it'll be worth at least a grand...... the Weekend is a very sought after car, due to it's rather clever tailgate arrangement.

(I wanted a Weekend, but decided that premium for one wasn't worth the extra practicality / perversion factor to me)

Reply to
SteveH

Oh, erm, 2 quid? ;-)

Feck me..... I wasn't far off. Didn't realise they'd go for only a fiver! - better get watching the auctions.

FWIW, the locks, ECU, immobiliser box, transponder sensor and keys are worth about £160-£200.

Reply to
SteveH

[..]

Nah.

Again, nah.

It's got 15" alloys with 195/55/15 tyres. The front 2 are newish but all

4 have some weird Outer Mongolian makes on them.

Would it be worth me dragging it out though? I suppose I could just photograph it in situ and put a reserve on it that reflects the hassle of removing it. Or I could just take an angle grinder to the front of the car and get it out that way ;-)

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

It's not _too_ bad. I've got a 1987 BMW 5 series which is very brown on the outside and the inside, it's much nicer than that.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

'Buyer removes'. Quite often see that on ebay.

And yes, for someone who's just trashed an engine through being too cheap to change a cambelt, it's worth a fair bit - probably the 500 quid you'd been thinking about for the whole car.

'Paging Rob'

Reply to
SteveH

Hurrah! I'm very very rich ;-)

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

You have mail young man :)

Hellraiser............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

I've got an engine hoist and the time and the space to do it myself but the parts are still 100quid and as it's the first one I've done it'll be over a days work. I know I can change the belt without removing the engine but as it's the idler that dies first...

And I hate doing heater matrixes even more. Unless it's a MkIII-V Cortina.

140k miles (cambelt done at 70k), not bad condition but the rear bumper has a parking whack.

From what I've learnt in the last hour I think financially I'd still be better off breaking it. It doesn't feel right though taking apart a perfectly usuable car (as long as you don't need the heater ;-) )

I was out collecting Range Rover bits from an eBay seller at the weekend, he buys good cars just to break. He'd got a 7 grand Merc S500 that looked smashing, he reckoned it was worth 20k in bits.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

You might have a large amount of success flogging the bits on the Fiat Bravo forum:-

Hellraiser