Fiat Marea Weekend Alternator?

Used my car tonight and noticed that the battery charge light was on. This didn't go off even after around six miles, so I returned home. I think I was running soley from the battery as the lights dimmed, and other electrical items refused to function correctly. Tried to see if there was a problem, it was dark though and things are kind of congested in the engine compartment.

Has anyone experience of this problem, is it something an independent would do, or is it a back to the dealer problem?

Or is a new alternator a "plug in job" from underneath :-)

Thanks for reading

HN

Reply to
Hugh Neary

Many thanks Duncan. I'll give the battery a charge tomorrow and get it up on ramps. [I presume it's an under the car job? The route in via the top is too cramped for Ones dainty digits :-(

Regards

HN

Reply to
Hugh Neary

Yes , no & pretty much. If you already own a socket set it's not rocket science but it is a bit inaccesible.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Fan belt ?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Which model Marea is it?

If it's a 5-pot, then you're pretty fecked...... and it would be worth paying a dealer with some midget mechanics to do it for you ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

It's a 1.8 [I think ELX Weekend] 16V, so I assume it's only four cylinders.

Hmm! May be the best option. I do not have a garage and the weather this weekend is going to be pretty cool.

BTW I do not think it's the drive belt. I looked last night and everything seemed to be spinning o/k. Actually the car is only 180 miled on from it's 62K service, so I assume the belts were adjusted. Mind you, from my other dealings with the agent I have no confidence in them :-(

HN

Reply to
Hugh Neary

You don't mention which engine you have. If its the 5 cylinder, then your gunna need amputation of hands and replacement with long narrow forcepts and a mind meld with the nuts and bolts and have them unscrew of their own accord as getting spanners / sockets in their is like trying to fling a cat

3 miles whilst sitting inside a washing machine drum.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Check the thick battery/alternator cable. Usually they run downhill from the battery, with no drip loop, so with salted roads and traffic spray, salty water tends to run down them and over time the end gets decidedly green, in spite of shrink sleeves and protective boot. Generally though the symptoms are initially intermittent.

Reply to
Ato_zee

Many thanks to all who replied. Took my vehicle into a local garage to be attended to.

£350.00

This must indeed be a pretty impressive alternator, do Fiat ensure every mA is individually inspected or something? No wonder no one on the web actually gave a price for one of these devices :-(

HN

Reply to
Hugh Neary

Blimey, that's about what the main dealer would charge you.

Reply to
Duncan Wood