FIAT Punto 1.2 cambelt question

My son's girlfriend has just bought a 1998 FIAT Punto 1.2.

I'm not sure if it has got a 8v or 16v engine. Does anyone know the cambelt interval and is it the same for the 8v and 16v. I've read that the 8v is non interference. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Apparently there is no 16v engine for the Punto in 1998; all 8v. All but the

85bhp version are non-interference. The non interference engines have a 63k replacement interval or every 5 years, the interference (85bhp) engine is 72k, or every 5 years.

If you have an engine code, I can give a definite answer.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In message , Sandy Nuts writes

Thanks for that. I've not actually seen the car yet so I don't have an engine number.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

As I recall, the 16v was used in the Sporting and ELX models.

All the 85bhp cars are 16v.

Cambelt on the engines is as above, however, I was paranoid and did mine on 48k miles (8v engine).

Remember to replace the waterpump at the same time - I didn't but had to do the whole job again when the pump died 10k miles later.

Reply to
SteveH

In message , SteveH writes

Thanks for that.