Fiesta 1.1 emmisions.

Hi, My Mother's Fiesta 1.1 classic with central fuel injection has failed its MOT on the exhaust emmsions. Her local mechanic who took it for the MOT for her, hasn't got the gear to check the different sensors etc. Ford main dealer wants £70 just to put it on their diagnostics machine. So I bought one of these Draper "fault code readers" but when I tried this there was no response at all. I dont know if the fault code reader is faulty or whether the ECU or associated wiring is faulty.

Would the engine run at all if the ECU were faulty?

Can anyone suggest the most likely culprit for making the CO emmisions go up to 6.4% when the limit is 0.3?

Can anyone reccomend anybody in the Bradford area who could sort it for a reasonable price?

Cheers,

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Wilkinson

first a general check and service, is it getting fully hot, are all the plugs onto the sensors properly.

temperature sender thing under the manifold is a common fault, o2 sensor common too.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

and fuel pressure

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

message

And I've seen the map sensor pipe flattened by vacuum

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

Thanks for the pointers, Does anyone have details of how to test these sensors etc? For instance the Temp sensor is likely to be an RTD or thermocouple, The MAP sensor presumably gives an analogue signal of either volts or milliamps, proportional to the manifold pressure.

I wasted £15 of my Mums money on a Haynes manual, which tells me nothing, other than "consult a dealer".

I am capable of testing the sensors, if I know what they are and what readings to expect.

Cheers,

Tony..

Reply to
Tony Wilkinson