Fiesta 1.25 Ghia Accessory Belt Removal

Following on from my "Fiesta 1.25 Ghia Power Steering" thread...

I replaced the power steering pipes on my sister's car in the end and this fixed the leak. Unfortunately no doubt as she drove it dry for about 200 miles, the pump makes an absolutely awful racket and I think I'll have to replace it. (At a cost of =A3136.79... still this will teach her to ignore problems and hope they go away!!!)

This entails removing the accessory belt. As I am too tight to buy a Haynes manual for this one-off job I am hoping someone here will tell me how to go about it. It looks to me like there is no tensioner and the best way of going about the job is to remove/slacken the alternator, which will enable me to get the belt off and therefore change the pump.

There is some sort of "idler" pulley, but this doesn't seem to tension the belt. Any better ideas anyone?

Thanks again

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

the belt has no tensoiner it is known as a stretchy belt . when you buy a belt(from ford)it comes with instructions and a tool(which does'nt work)throw the tool in the bin and using a metal bar or something(i use a cutlery knife)carfully praise it onto the crankshaft and rotate tha crank at the same time (may need 2 people)being careful not to damage the grooves they are supposed to be used once and to be cut in half to remove but i've known people to praise them off and back on again

Reply to
ford_technical_

ford_technical_ Feb 1, 4:33 pm show options

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance From: "ford_technical_" - Find messages by this author Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:33:11 -0500 Local: Wed, Feb 1 2006 4:33 pm Subject: Re: Fiesta 1.25 Ghia Accessory Belt Removal Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

Thanks for that, I will try the cutlery knife trick and report back. Good job I'm a single man living on my own, don't think any sort of girlfriend would be too impressed with those antics!

Cheers Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

Best to be on your own when you cut the two people in half, at least.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

grooves

Hi all, just to report back...

Did the job fine in the end with a second hand pump for a scrappy's (=A345). The accessory built was no trouble at all - I just got it into position, with me grappling under the car and a "glamourous assistant" manipulating the belt from above, then I just stretched it over the alternator with my bare hands. Finally made sure it was all seated correctly by spinning the engine over a couple of times and all worked fine.

Thanks to all for help

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat