Fiesta 1.3 Stalling at Junctions

Hi all,

My 1.3 Ford Fiesta 'M'-reg has had a long-standing problem with stalling, particularly at junctions.

Some days it's fine, some days it's terrible. Warm weather isn't as bad as cold weather but there's not that much in it.

After a service it is fine for a week or so then it slowly returns to it's old ways so I guess something done during the service fixes it temporarily.

I'm not good with cars so if it's anything that requires knowledge beyond the level of 'duffer' I'm gonna need to see a garage.

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions...

Reply to
root

I think I need to offer my terminal cleaning advice again!

It'll be the cure for something one day :o)

Ok, under the air filter you will find 2 or 3 terminal plugs which go all manky and 'orrible inside. Seperate the two halves of each plug and clean both sides with WD40 or something similar, and kitchen paper/cotton buds etc. Put the plugs back together and marvel at the non-stallingness of your Fester.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Sounds great. However, I have no idea what a terminal plug looks like. What do they look like exactly?

Sorry I'm so clueless... :)

Reply to
root

It's a plastic connector which joins a bunch of wires to another bunch of wires. They're quite easy to find and will be clipped to something under the air filter.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

My neighbour's Fiesta was ok-ish after a "service" - the garage she took it to opened up the plug gaps enormously (??) to try to compensate for the air temp. sensor not working properly because its connector pins were manky.

If cleaning the connectors works it might be worth checking the plug gaps too.

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Its the only electrical connection on the underside of the aircleaner.

This is the 80% cause of stalling on the frankly dreadful Ford CFi system, - there are afew other causes, and general poor setting up of this system which causes the remainder.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I also forgot- whilst you have the aircleaner apart checking the plug, also look at the 'business' end of the air temp sensor in the aircleaner. If it looks broken, or melted you'll need a new one. These cars often spit back / back fire into the aircleaner and the air temp sensor is the first thing to get melted.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi , You told me about this a few weeks ago as a cure for my wife's fiesta 1.3cfi poor running problems, and although when I looked at the connectors, they looked fine, I cleaned them anyway and it seemed to fix the problems, so definitely worth trying. Thanks Tony

Reply to
Tony Benham

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

*Ahem*

Glad it worked :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

As obviously you knew it would from long experience. Wasn't just guesswork, oh no... ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

I never guess. Hardly ever. Only on the very few occasions logic doesn't work.

Ok, I'm constantly guessing and I'm amazed when something works, happy now? ;)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot