Fiesta Brakes

I've just got back from my latest MOT with an entirely expected failure due to a blowing exhaust (easy, but sadly expensive to fix), and two entirely unexpected failures on the brakes.

- Nearside Rear parking brake recording little or no effort.

- Offside Front brake grabbing severely.

Given the age and value of the car (X reg, 2000, Fiesta) it's probably not worth getting a garage to fix this, but if I can sort the problems with the brakes (and the exhaust), I'd be happy running it for another 6-12 months whilst I sort out a new car...

So, I'm about to go out and have a look at the brakes, but does anyone with experience in these things have any suggestions as to likely causes of the above?

I'm hoping the parking brake will just need freeing up a bit, but the grabbing brakes are a bit of a mystery to me just now.

Reply to
David Taylor

the parking brake is probably a combo of badly adjusted cable (too tight and maybe a seized adjuster, a good clean out, slacken the cable off, press the pedal and listen to the adjuster click, take it for a short test drive and THEN adjust up the handbrake cable.

At the front the most likely fault is a seized caliper or pads, once again a clean out, grease up and rebuild will probably fix it.

Do the job on both sides of the car or you will introduce uneven braking too !!

Total cost probably nothing, both faults would have been found under good routine servicing.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Got to be worth a grand if it's in decent nick.

My Ka (same brakes and basic build as a 1.3 Fiesta) regularly produced so much brake dust that the calipers weren't moving freely. A wire brush, some brake cleaner and a blow off freed them back up. If that doesn't work, the next step would be to pull the calipers off, and either strip and rebuild them yourself (fairly simple - just launch the piston out with a blow gun pushed into the fluid inlet, and change the cylinder seal - the tricky part is fitting the dust seals, but it's not rocket science), or get a new caliper for £30.

Reply to
Doki

It rained a bit too much last weekend, but managed to fix both brake problems just by giving them a good clean. Also fixed the exhaust, and it passed the retest today.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Taylor

Not sure anyone would pay a grand for it -- but the main problem was the exhaust, which required a new cat to fix. Ford wanted £350+ for the part alone. Managed to get the cat + flexi pipe for £170 off the internet and fit it myself, plus maybe £30 for various ancilliary bits & pieces, so £200 all in wasn't too bad.

Reply to
David Taylor

Good, glad to hear it, many problems can be fixed without throwing a load of new bits at it. You used to be able to get a flexi pipe repair kit quite cheaply, I haven't fitted one for a while though.

Reply to
Mrcheerful