Fiesta Clunk noise when reversing

My 1999 Fiesta 1.4 Ghia has a fault that seems obvious but has beaten me so far: When the brakes are applied when reversing there is a loud 'clunk' from the rear. This only occurs on the first brake application when reversing so it would seem that the brake shoes have play in them and are clunking against a 'stop'. I have stripped off the brake shoes, made sure all the adjusters, retaining pins and springs are OK and reassembled them with no joy. I can't pinpoint what wheel the noise is coming from but I am convinced it is the brakes and not a suspension bush or wheel bearing (I have checked all of these and they seem OK). This is a similar problem that afflicts Mk2 Honda CR-V's where the rear brake pads can move around in their retainers. My last thought is that the shoes could be faulty but wanted someone else to give me some ideas before spending out. Thanks for your help on this...

Reply to
Mork (from Ork)

are the stub axle retaining bolts tight (they also hold the back plate still)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

snipped-for-privacy@v18g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

I have now removed both rear drums using the stub axle bolts and re- torqued them. Still the same clonk unfortunately. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Mork (from Ork)

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v18g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

I have now removed both rear drums using the stub axle bolts and re- torqued them. Still the same clonk unfortunately. Thanks anyway.

This can also happen when ONE of the pistons in the wheel cylinder has seized, not very common , but easily checked. Make sure the adjusters are working right, slacken the handbrake cable and pump the pedal, then when you take the drum off you should be able to gauge how close the shoes are. Perhaps you could isolate which side by using a brake hose clamp on one side at a time. Clonk from the rear brakes is not common on standard drum brake set ups, it happens on disk and disk/drum handbrake cars like vectras and volvos. So I would be having a very close look at suspension mounts and bits like that.

Reply to
Mrcheerful