fiesta courier clutch

Have changed the clutch on my fiesta courier but can't fathom out how to reset the auto cable adjuster to let the cable back through on the gearbox-arm end. The auto adjuster is on the clutch pedal inside the car. All I can see is a white plastic allen key bolt on the face of the pedal leg. Am I better off getting a new clutch cable too and adjuster?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Lift the pedal up while pulling the inner cable through at the other end. You may need an assistant for this :-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Just lever the gearbox arm in and hook the cable on. Earlier auto adjusters you lift the pedal, ones with an allen adjuster you turn the allen to adjust pedal height/operation. (I have only seen these on escorts)

Reply to
mrcheerful

Problem is that on the original spline the cable can no way be made to reach the gearbox arm. If I move the gearbox arm round one notch then there's way to much slack - the biting point being 1" from the floor and not disingaging the clutch enough to get it in gear. It seems that the cable adjuster has taken the slack out off the cable when the old borked clutch was in there but now doesn't want to give it back up again. Been told I may need a new 'quadrant' which are fiddlier than a fiddlers fiddle to fit? Does this make sense?

chris

Reply to
Chris

If you have a self adjusting quadrant (which are awkward to fit), then all you need to do is get an assistant to lift the pedal while you pull the other end of the cable, this gives lots of slack, against the quadrant return spring pressure ( so don't expect it to stay sticking out on its own)

AFAIK if you have a allen key adjuster then you need to slacken it anticlockwise to let enough cable through.

Perhaps you are not trying enough pressure on the lever arm at the gearbox end, you should with a bit of assistance from a lever be able to operate the clutch, this gives loads of slack to connect the cable.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful