Fiesta gear select problem

My daughters car a '98 Ford Fiesta 1.25i Zetec 59k miles.

Today she said it was juddering on start off. At first I thought maybe not enough accellerator pedal - until I tried it and found that with the normal amount of gas it almost stalls, but once that's overcome it goes great but I notice the gear lever is a lot sloppier than it was when I drove it last week and suspect 1st & 2nd gears are not being selected. Searching earlier posts on this subject suggests the linkage may require adjustment or there may be a broken bush. Unfortunately the topic wasn't continued to the ultimate conclusion. Any ideas would be gratefully received - I'm quite competent and have a garage with a pit.

Reply to
group_stuff_etc

Let me be the first to reply to my own posting!

Just taken a look from the pit and found the lower gearshift 'universal joint' is sheared at the gearbox end. It doesnt look like a big job but I'm wondering if earlier Fiesta linkages are identical. There's a scrapyard just down the road with quite few older Fiestas in. It also allows me the opportunity to see how best to remove the old one

Reply to
group_stuff_etc

No further advice sought. TCH price for a complete unit (both rods) =A384 or =A330 for a lower rod only. The guy was helpful and said if picking one up at the scrappers it has to be '96 onwards.

Reply to
group_stuff_etc