Fiesta HCS1.3 Engine Cutting out/misfiring

Hi, My wife's Fiesta is cutting out when braking/stopping, and seems unhappy to idle. It is 1994, with the 1.3 HCS engine with CFI, with 61,000 miles on the clock. I've cleaned up plugs, injector with no improvement. Can anyone suggest other causes to look at that may explain this problem ? Thanks Tony

Reply to
Tony Benham

In message , Tony Benham writes

The Idle Control Valve (ICV) needs removing and cleaning out with a solvent. It's only held on by two bolts and is an easy job.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Either Pauls suggestion or the brake servo/pipe to brake servo is leaking.

Reply to
Conor

Air leak- a joint / hose, or the brake servo pipe is split.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The CFi doesnt have an ICV, it just uses a stepper motor on the throttle linkage- there is no idle air bypass.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'm not typing it out again - someone else tell him :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

How hard is it to type "It's a Fiesta"?

Reply to
Guy King

What's your point ? The Fiesta has always been a little temperamental, but it has recently become much worse so I guess there is a particular problem causing this, which is why I asked. Tony

Reply to
Tony Benham

Hi Tim, ISTR that this is correct for my wife's car. I'll check tonight, but couldn't the stepper motor be playing up too ? I'll check your other suggestion re brake servo hose as well. BTW the sticking idle control valve is a classic problem on my vauxhall car's ecotec engine, I have to clean that fairly often. Thanks Tony

Reply to
Tony Benham

words:

very true, usually found on roadside dead!....

--

-- Kind Regards Neil B Orange CS - +447837614753 Live Life in the Fast Lane -

Neil

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound sarky, it's just that my neighbour's Fiesta did the exact same thing and every time someone posts identical symptoms (and there's been a LOT of you) I type out the same cure but nobody has ever come back to say it worked :o)

So.....under the air filter are three (IIRC) connector plugs. The pins and sockets of these connectors corrode and cover themselves with grey gunk so they stop the letrics from getting where they're going. Undo these plugs one at a time and give each half a good clean with WD40, or similar, and cotton buds/kitchen towel. Plug back together, start engine, look to the skies and thank all the gods for URCM.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot