Fiesta idle problem

Still got this problem. Can't get the car booked into Ford until next weekend. Just wanted to run a couple of things by the group. Guy in work had the same problem with his Fiesta. It turned out to be the lambada sensor. Once this was replaced the problem disappeared. Someone else suggested disconnecting the battery for a while to clear the ECR memory, then reconnect and re-train as it were the idle settings. I didn't want to do the latter as it would wipe the memory and therefore Ford would be unable to find the fault code. Am I right in this thinking? Any thoughts on the above? To refresh the car is a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec, year 2000 and it is idling too fast and hunting when stationary between 600 and 1200 revs.

Alex

Reply to
JAT

Don't remember your last post - have you checked out the Idle Control Valve - had exactly the same problems with my old Cavalier, and the wife had the same with a Ford Ka - both of which were proved by cleaning with carb-cleaner, but ultimately both cured by replacement.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

By all means clear the ECU's adapted values by disconnecting the battery for

10mins or so (NB radio code!).

A faulty O2 sensor will *not* affect idle characteristics. It only has the ability to vary fuel trim by ~ +/- 10% at idle and cruise.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

If it's still "hunting" and you've replaced with a new (working) ICV, then it isn't that - and I don't believe removing power would help. If you still have the old one, try cleaning the ports with carb cleaner - search google for details and try refitting, just in case.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I still have the old one but the mating surface is badly pitted, which is why I replaced it. I might be able to skim it but I doubt it would be much of a job. Surely if the brand new one bought from Ford dealer has not made a differance then re-fitting the old one wouldn't either. Something I did notice at the weekend was a knocking noise which appeared to be coming from the air filter. I removed the duct from the air filter housing and found that the noise was coming from the throttle body housing end of the ducting. The noise was as if the engine was gasping for air yet the ducting was clear. Could the problem lie with the throttle body housing? What should I look for?

Reply to
JAT

leaky inlet valve? just my pennies worth :)

Reply to
aussie bongo

After all this the car has been performing normally for the past couple of days! I am seriously considering buying an old car, and I mean an old one, before all these bloody sensors and ECR's.

Alex

Reply to
JAT