Fiesta Mk 4 fuel pump

Hi all

1999 1.25 Fiesta with fuel pump issues, it's been ongoing for some time but appears to be getting worse.

When you turn the ignition key the pump runs for a second or two, at this point maybe 3 or 4 times out of 10 the 10A fuse blows. Not always though. I can see no obvious issues with wiring, and I changed the fuel filter to no effect. Once running it's fine, only on startup does it have the issue.

So I reckon it's time for a replacement pump. The Haynes book of lies suggests the only way to do it is removing the tank from below, I just know that's going to turn into a pig of a task. Why Ford couldn't put an access panel under the back seat I don't know! I've thought about cutting a hole myself with snips. The hole doesn't need to be big. I could then try and refit the cutout section with rivets or something!

Luckily Management doesn't need the car till Tuesday so I can have an attempt.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

It is actually quite an easy tank to take off. working through a hole is always a pain, crap drops in the tank and you slice your hands up, especially if you have cut the hole yourself. but of course ymmv

Reply to
Mrcheerful