Fiesta mk3 Clutch pedal problem

My friend had a 94 1.6 si fiesta. Recently when de-pressing the clutch a clicking/knocking noise can be heard from the pedal itself. It started happening every now and again but now happens about 50% of the time.

I seem to remember something from a while ago about the self adjuster in the clutch pedal being made from plastic and breaking, im wondering if this could be the problem?

Has anyone come across a similar prolem and sorted it out or got any usefull info?

I havent looked at the car from him yet, just wanted a bit of info first.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Kirky

Yes you need a kit of parts for the auto clutch adjuster, genuine ford parts are the best, about 8 or 9 pounds for the kit.

Don't try and fit in a rush or in the rain.

My personal recipe is to remove the front seats first. The pedal bracket for the clutch end is designed so it looks as though you can change the pedal auto adjuster easily. This is not the case. Undoing the bolts that hold the end bracket on will allow the pedal to come off, but refitting is impossible without removing the whole pedal box. The trick is to remove the two captive bolts from the bracket and replace with loose bolts and nuts, this allows the bracket to go back on easily.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Not sure about the later shape Fiesta, but I'd try and get the manual adjuster kit, rather than a replacement auto adjuster.

Agreed.

If you undo the two nuts on the bulkhead (accessible from the engine bay side), you can lever the box enough the refit the end mounting without completely removing the box.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Of course the later shape Fiesta has a hydraulic clutch, so it won't be one of those will it ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I had a look at the adjuster today and it seems that the adjuster is already fully adjusted up and the noise that can be heard is the adjuster moving beyond the last tooth and then slipping back. The clutch is relativly stiff to and im sure a few months ago it was quite easy to depress. The car changes gear ok and has covered only 57k so surely it cant be a worn clutch? I was thinking the clutch cable itself could need replacing?

Whats your opinions?

Many thanks for previous replys

Reply to
Kirky

Check the cable routing - particularly where it comes through the bulkhead. Mine was very stiff, and then snapped, and I only realised how badly it had been snagged at the bulkhead when I put the new one in. I hadn't seen the snagging because of the rubber covering.

Reply to
Michael Brooks

At 57k it could very easily be a worn clutch, this is right on the range for normal wear.

Possibly, you could try it first to see if it improves.

In any case you'll need to deal with the self-adjuster.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

At the clutch end, is it possible to add somekind of spacer between the end of the cable and clutch lever to take up any excess slack and to force the self adjuster to grip lower down?

Reply to
Mark

that used to be the bodge, a few sump plug washers on the outer cable where it sits on the gbox.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

I have purchased a new clutch cable which im going to fit. Do these cables need lubricating or are they pre-lubed or just used dry. It was from a local motor factors.

Reply to
Kirky