Fiesta Mk3 Ignition Barrel problems

My friend was having trouble turning the key in his ignition barrel about a year ago so I fitted him a new barrel which cured the problem. Then about 2 months ago it started playing up so I fitted him another one. I asked the ford parts guy to check the key for wear as I couldnt understand why two locks had now gone faulty to which he said the key was fine.

My mates just told me that the lock is playing up again, has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks

Reply to
Rob Kirk

Well what exactly is wrong? Does the key turn but doesn't return? Is it sometimes difficult to turn?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

you have to attempt to turn it a few times before it actually turns. Last time it went faulty(before replacement) it was difficult to turn and in the end the key wouldn't come out at all.

Reply to
Rob Kirk

Does shaking the steering wheel back and forth make the key easier to turn?>

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Does shaking the steering wheel back and forth make the key easier to turn?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Does he park on a hill with his wheels turned to the kerb? Or otherwise park without straight wheels? If so it's probably simple.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Rob Kirk ( snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How heavy is the bunch of keys? Is it just a car key/house key/keyring - or is it a kilo of assorted good-luck charms, cuddly toys, housebricks and other assorted crap?

Reply to
Adrian

Switch that connects to the end of the lock or the steering lock part.

Reply to
Conor

Right ive checked with my mate, he only has his house key on his keyring and he always parks with steering wheel straight. I had wondered about the switch part connected to the end of the barrel, I take it your suggesting if this part is in some way faulty it could be causing the lock barrel to fail prematurely? PS Ive suggested he try shaking the steering wheel to see if this helps turn the key when hes struggling.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Rob Kirk