Fiesta mk4 with implausible temperature gauge

Hello -

I've got a Mk4 Fiesta (1998, 1.3 petrol Endura) with an intermittent fault on the temperature gauge. Most of the time it reads cold, even when the engine is warm, although ocassionally is rises and give a more plausible reading. The heater operates normally and the fuel consumption seems normal, so I'm guessing that the engine temperature is OK, and the gauge is incorrect.

My local Ford dealer said the first thing to do was replace the "temperature sender", and then kept the car for 3 days before realising they had ordered the wrong part, so I took the car back and I'm wondering about trying the replacement myself.

My Haynes manual doesn't mention this procedure. Is it straightforward, or should I get it done at a garage? Can I buy a new sender on the Internet?

Thanks

Reply to
FaultyFiesta

around this year there are 2 types

1;the early type a bolt like object on or near cylinder1 2;the later type (a ECT) which goes through the PCM sorry carnt remember where these are located

they simply unscrew and new one in -easy

Reply to
ford_technical_