Fiesta S reg (1998) Endura 1.3 Sump replacement.

I've got a Fiesta S reg (1998) with the 1.3 Endura engine which has started leaking oil from the sump (badly corroded at the front, suspect all the grit / stones chucked up from the road has hastened its demise)

What is involved in replacing the sump - looks easy enough but I'm not sure about the bit where the lip goes under the gearbox housing.

Yes I know it would be mucky and will need a gasket as well ;)

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

You can get into the bolts at the bell housing end, without dismantling too much (from memory I think you need to drop the exhaust to get enough clearance). It's always wise to remove the awkward bolts first.

Make sure you stick the new gasket on using some silicone sealer or grease to hold it in place (it comes in 4 bits from what I remember).

Reply to
moray

I also have an S-reg fiesta 1.3, and until recently it also had a rusty sump which I paid someone to replace because I didn't like the look of the bolts. As mentioned elsewhere, part of the exhaust needs to be moved out of the way. Four of the bolts snapped when mine was being done and had to be drilled out, so that may happen to you.

Reply to
Simon

Silicone sealer does dissolve in petrol (and therefore oil quite a lot of the time) and I've swapped an oil pump before because of people using it (admittedly, far too much of it) as a gasket sealer, when bits of it flake off and clog the pickup. Use proper gasket compound - it's £3 a tube FFS!

Reply to
Doki

Hmmm, the bolts don't look too bad. How much were you charged?

Reply to
philipuk

I think it was about £200 in total, at independent garage, but with a sump manufactured by Ford. The bolts on mine looked severly corroded, so maybe mine was an extreme case.

Reply to
Simon