Fiesta slightly fast idle for a minute or so.

I'm just curious to hear if this is normal, or not. My 2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec has a slightly high idle for the first minute or so after starting up. It's only about 1300-1400 RPM, so it's not going mad, or anything, but it makes driving a little hairy for a short while, then it abruptly returns to normal. Do they all do that? Is it just the choke, or something? It's done it for so long that I can't remember any more if it did it when I bought it.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot

They all do that.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Dunno this model, but 1400 rpm fast idle is rather high these days?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My Zetec SE engined Focus (essentially as the OP's) is the same.

The Zetec E (1.8 & 2.0) fast idle a little slower.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Haven't noticed my Mk3 Focus doing it, but the previous Mondeo only did it when outside temps were low and it hasn't been :)

Just for s&g I once had a 2l Mitsi Celeste with twin carbs and auto choke which was specced at 2500 fast idle when cold, now that was a fun little car.

Reply to
Lee

I have a 2000 Toyota MR2 which does similar, but a little faster. Somewhat annoying but I assume it's normal on them.

Reply to
Alan Deane

En el artículo , Mr. Spigot escribió:

It's normal, it's to warm the engine up faster to reduce emissions.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

I think that the best way to warm up an engine is to drive off gently, it will warm up quicker under load.

Reply to
Gordon H

Isn't it the automatic choke coming in?

Reply to
Joe 60
[...]

It might have been if it was a Mk1 fiesta!

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan