Fiesta stalling problem

Hi all,

Quick question:

Sometimes my Fiesta (2000 mk4 1.25l Zetec) stalls when the engine is being kept alive by the momentum of the car and in gear when I then depress the clutch and simultaneously use the brakes. I presume this is because the ECU only copes properly with losing the drive from the wheels by feeding some petrol in when then engine isn't suddenly asked to do something else. I don't suppose I can do anything about this?

It doesn't bother me that much as doesn't happen very often but sometimes I have a passenger not with it enough to know that a driver induced stall causes the car to judder and it doesn't judder in this case. Hence they think I can't drive!

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Peter Spikings wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@peter.power.net.uk:

Possibly a sticky idle air valve.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Yes you can. This is a classic symptom of a fudged up idle control valve, or ICV. Chances are that it's full of crud; carefully open it up, be sure to keep the seal in there (not the "arf! arf!" seal, the black rubber thingie). Give it a clean out, replace the seal and try it again.

Now it may be other stuff like the throttle position switch, but this causes all sorts of driveability problems all of the time.

Reply to
DervMan

I don't recall seeing an "arf! arf!" seal in my engine bay the last time I checked :)

Yes, the car is totally fine apart from this so it looks like the ICV.

Thanks (to Stu as well) for the help...

Cheers,

Peter.

Reply to