Fiesta steering/exhaust noise.

2003 Zetec Fiesta. For the last few days, I've been thinking that the exhaust has been blowing a bit. Only doing it at low revs, which seemed odd, but not impossible. But I've just noticed that it only does it when the steering wheel is turned left or right. Tickover drops a couple of hundred RPM, too, but recovers. So now I'm not sure where the noise is coming from at all. Is some switch in the steering mechanism playing up sufficiently to make the RPM drop so that it labours so much that the exhaust blows? Or is something so badly nackered in the steering that it sounds something like a blowing exhaust?
Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

There's probably a pressure switch on the power steering which should "warn" the idle control circuitry about the heavy load, and cause it to raise the idle speed back to where it would normally be.

Reply to
Adrian

I've an idea that a slipping auxiliary belt could explain all this. It seems to be okay when it's warmed up, and it is the time of year for that sort of thing, I guess. If it continues to do it when the weather's a bit warmer, I'll try to test the switch in the PAS fluid pipe.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu