Fines levied in UK for continental speeding! (apologies)

Firstly please accept apologies, but I couldnt find another suitable newsgroup. The news coming through this morning made I mad!

A note on the news that in 2007 speeding offences commited by UK drivers whilst in continental europe can be traced through yourselves and fined, one assumes some if not all the revenue going back to France or Belgium etc etc. So, have any measures been put in place to cover our friends in France and Belgium etc making up sets of fake (but accurate) UK number plates and purposely speeding so that their coffers are filled with our money from fake scenarios? I suppose its one way of them getting the EU rebate looked at!

Reply to
J A Sims

Have you run out of medication?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

hahaha! no wonder he couldnt find a suitable group... he should petition for a new one, uk.conspiracy.theories.eu perhaps?

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

Yeh, but you aint my chemist matey.

J A Sims

Yeh yeh, cheers guys! Merry Xmas to you all too.

J A Sims

whilst in continental europe can be traced through yourselves and fined,

That is /was always the case. My friend went on holiday to Australia and had a hire car, he later recieved a fine for speeding which he had to pay.

etc. So, have any measures been put in place to cover our friends in France and Belgium etc making up sets of fake (but accurate) UK number plates and purposely speeding so that their coffers are filled with our money from fake scenarios? I suppose its one way of them getting the EU rebate looked at!

Don't worry about it, drive responsibly and you won't have anything to worry about.

Reply to
Avanti

I was tempted to reply in Conor mode but I have resisted the temptation as you have obviously got your tongue firmly in your (or someone elses) cheek.

Reply to
Malc

Belgium etc making up sets of fake (but accurate) UK number plates and purposely speeding so that their coffers are filled with our money from fake scenarios? I suppose its one way of them getting the EU rebate looked at!

That could work the other way too. Traffic plod stands at the exit of the Channel Tunnel terminal with a speed gun (one of those which it was recently found under test measured a wall as travelling at 20mph) and points it at every single one of those Johnny Foreigner registered vehicles coming in. Speeding fines aplenty. No need for poor old Tony to have any more arguments with Chirac about giving French farmers (i.e. any Frenchman with at least one goat) squillions of pounds. Job's a good 'un. ;o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

and Belgium etc making up sets of fake (but accurate) UK number plates and = purposely speeding so that their coffers are filled with our money from fak= e scenarios? I suppose its one way of them getting the EU rebate looked at!

Actually the initial troll got me thinking. Given that it would cost at least =A3200 for someone to get a set of false plates, spend time getting from France to the UK and then spending time driving around (and I forgot to factor in the ferry/chunnel). I don't know how much a speeding ticket is, because I haven't had one for 15 years, but say =A350 for arguments sake then it would take 5 speeding tickets to show a profit.

Tony Bliar was talking about giving up some of our rebate and someone on the Beeb said it would have to be 10 billion before any of our eurochums would start negotiating. So that would be 200 million profitable speeding offences (using American billions) or 1 billion speeding offences including non profitable ones.

Excellent plan.

--=20 Malc

Reply to
Malc

Carl Bowman wrote: Actually the initial troll got me thinking. Given that it would cost at least £200 for someone to get a set of false plates, spend time getting from France to the UK and then spending time driving around (and I forgot to factor in the ferry/chunnel). I don't know how much a speeding ticket is, because I haven't had one for 15 years, but say £50 for arguments sake then it would take 5 speeding tickets to show a profit.

----------

Why woukld it cost £200 for a set of false plates??? almost every boy racer mag out there has adverts for show plates, for around 20 quid you can get a set made up with any reg number you want, they are for shows not road use, so they don't have to check reg doccuments or owt.

And why would the foriegn car need to come over to the UK, speeding offences committed abroad will be applied to the person who the plates belong to in england, as the OP said, so all they need to do is spend 20 quid plus a bit more postage to get the show plates delivered aborad, then drive around their local speed camera sites.

Of course if the camera's are front facing this plan will not work to well, an english registered left hooker and all that, but easy enough to get a steering wheel from the scrappy, and get their mate to sit in the passengers seat holding it like he was driving :)

Can't see too many people bothering my self, the french hate speed camera's more than us apparantly, which is why there arent as many as there are over here.

Reply to
CampinGazz

No no read the post. I said a set of plates, travel over from France etc.

Anyway it's not like I was being serious.

--=20 Malc

Reply to
Malc

Anyway , let them try it, given that being English is fairly effective at dealing with French traffic cops ( they tend to pull me for driving trucks on Sundays) Ii suspect being pulled in a LHD drive car with English plates & a French accent would be best avoided.

Reply to
Duncanwood