First gear trouble on a 1.3 Fiesta

I recently passed my driving test and three weeks ago bought an N Reg

1.3 Fiesta Encore with 35k on the clock. All was fine until I drove over to Manchester to see my girlfriend last week.

The car stalled rather suddenly at a roundabout (probably human error!!!) and for about the next two or three minutes it wouldn't seem to go into gear properly and the car felt slightly strange. Since then I've had real problems getting it into 1st gear at junctions. It's okay when I'm setting off from standstill, but changing down while the car is moving is problematic. I'm also now having problems getting it into third gear. The car is still under warranty from the dealer, but I wanted to suss out what might be wrong before I approach them. The car has definitely become harder to drive and I'm pretty sure it's not just me making clumsy gear changes.

Any advice appreciated...

Alex Waddington

Reply to
Alex Waddington

stalling could have just missaligned the gear linkage, not too hard to fix as the rods are external to the box.

Reply to
Neil B - blueyonder Internet Redditch

I'd whizz it back to the garage while its under warranty - copuld be something gone out of adjustement, or possibly clutch triuble that coincidentally came to light when you stalled the car. Or even the clutch cable or adjuster throwing a wobbly (which might have caused the stalling)

Do you feel a sort of clicking when you press the clutch pedal (might be teeth on the adjuster gone), or has it suddenly become stiff (frayed cable)?

Reply to
R. Murphy

Well, in the first instance, take it back to the garage!

If this is the mark four (i.e. curvy bottomed, frowning faced) Fiesta, it has a fluid clutch, but you'd get the low brake fluid warning light if you were running low on fluid (it's a shared system).

Reply to
DervMan

You aren't trying to go from second to first whilst moving are you?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Well as that era of car has syncro on first it shouldn't matter.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

My dad always has a go at me for first. So I showed him the Haynes manual that says "synchro on all forward gears" aslong as you not going too fast for the gear whats the problem?

Reply to
Ben Organ

Could be a few things -- gear linkage and or engine mounts -- first thing to check clutch -- not clearing properly lack of oil in the gearbox-- could cause the needle roller bearings to seize

Reply to
AWM

Going down to 1st while moving puts a a heck of a load on the synchro baulk rings unless the engine revs nearly match the road speed --- all it needs a little bit more than normal drag on the clutch and it won't go into gear no matter how hard you force it. I would only ever try it a close or semi close ratio box like old Ford

2000e with its 40 mph 1st gear.
Reply to
AWM

Ka does 35 in 1st - screaming tho :)