Fitted a 528T Pulse timer instead of using a manual glowplug for a Mitsubishi Pajero

Hi,

Ok - I have a manual glow plug switch because my relay is busted somewhere on my 2.5LW Pajero Diesel. Basically, press a button, count to

5 and then turn on ignition - car starts fine

Anyway - the manual glow plug switch is fine, does the job well. But then I saw on ebay a 528T Pulse timer and took the plunge and ordered one as it does Wait to start with timer option.

So was thinking, that if I could and have access to a feed off the ignition, fit this relay between that feed and the glow plug (use the connection on the glow plug relay where the lead from the manual switch goes to start the glow plugs), I could in theory have a Pajero, where I turn on ignition, the relay kicks in. Count to say 5, and turn ignition fully and start Pajero.

The question is though how to configure if possible.

A diagram is here, best one I have found

Can anyone help as dont want to blow it up first go or is it a no go.

Scott

***Take out NOSPAM in email to respond directly***
Reply to
Scott

I see no basic problem in what you want to do. Just check one thing first though. How much current do your glow plugs take? If they've got a 2 ohm resistance then you're looking at 24A. Any less than that, then you are getting very close to the maximum current rating of the relay, in which case you may want to use the 528T to drive a bigger relay.

Reply to
Malc

Hi ,

I see no reason either, its just how to wire up goto me in a tangle

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Firstly, you will find that the Pajero runs two glow plug relays and a complex variety of timers and temp sensors where you get primary glow before starting, the period depending on the temperature. The light then goes out and you start the engine.

After that, if the temperature is above ~8 deg c, then nothing more happens. If the temp is lower than 8, as detected by a coolant temperature sensor, you then can have upto 1 minute of post-glow. There are two relays on the bulkhead and you'll probably hear them clicking.

The glow plugs will draw approx 45 amps, so if you dont use the facotry relays, you need something (and adequate wiring) that will handle the current. Crimped connections are not suitable here. They must be soldered and properly heatshrinked using the correct thickness of cable.

The glow plugs are fused at the battery by a 80amp fuse.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)
[...]

*Properly* crimped connections are used every day for electrical loads of many hundreds of Amps, so would be entirely suitable, indeed preferable, to a soldered connection.

(IMHO with 40 years of experience as an electrician!).

Chris

Remove prejudice to reply.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Of course, but 90% of home DIY's do not own a set of rachet crimpers which do a proper job, on *decent* crimps- not the "pound line crimps with free pliers".

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Indeed, but imagine what a mess such people could make with a soldering iron...

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I concur. In fact I believe the IEE wiring regs say something similar. And the glowplug connections on Citroens are crimped and usually give no trouble.

Reply to
Malc

A 30 amp rating is not enough for glow plugs. You would need a 70amp relay and then there would be no problem using the timer relay to switch the main relay. The existing Pajero system is a bit more complex as another poster has said, but if you set your timer to about 15-20 secs it'll do fine to start the car. HOwever, you'll be switching on your glow plugs every time you start the car and shorten glowplug life.

John

Reply to
John