Fitting a heated windscreen?

I have an '04 Fiesta Zetec, when I bought it I orginally wanted the heated windscreen option but it would have been three months wait for my car, so I didn't get it. However I'm now beginning to regret that as the winter draws in. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a heated windscreen fitted to a car which currently does not have one?

I suspect it would be quite a bit more than the orginal £200 asking price, if it is actually possible at all.

Thanks!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

I feel an insurance claim coming on. Presumably the 50quid excess also covers the heated screens.

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

err - only if you've actually got one already.

To the OP I say - just use your scraper and don't be such a big Jessie!

Reply to
Doug

it's only a case of getting the sub loom for the screen it connects to only one place in the car loom and that's to the ecu to tell it to raise the idle speed to compensate for the current draw the rest is stand along from the battery to the switch to the buttons to the screen

I've got one for a sierra if you want it for a few quid, it's just a few relays and wires and stuff but as long as you've got the screen in place it all just plugs in

and if you want to do a claim for it, then just phone up and say "I've broken the screen on my car, yes it's heated" and they come out and replace it

what you need to look out for is the total level of cover for your glass insurance, if it doesn't cover the replacement fully they will send you a bill for the excess money they haven't been able to claim back form the insurance company

Reply to
dojj

Thanks but I have no knowledge of car fitting so would want it installed by the dealer, and preferably one for a Fiesta not a Sierra :p. And I'm not into fraud I won't be trying to get it out of my insurance.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

good for you then but remember, it's about £600 or £700 to retro fit it

Reply to
dojj

Just buy a new car - you know it makes sense :-)

Reply to
adder

Yeah it's 3 months old now, time for a change ;-)

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

But you *WILL* be telling them about the modification - making your car non-standard :) Although '04 Fiesta Zetec's do have heated screens - yours didn't, so fitting one is a non-standard mod!

Reply to
Paul King

I've now had an official reply from a Ford dealer saying it is impossible due to a different wiring harness in the vehicle. :-(

I can deal with it but I know that every single winter morning from now until I sell the car I will be cursing not waiting the three months so I could get the heated screen :-\

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

they are just making you suffer for not waiting the3 months for the car :) as i've said before, it's just an addition to the ecu to up the idle a little and you can tap into the heated rear screen or AC loom for that

Reply to
dojj

That may be so, but they don't seem to be willing to fit one, so what can be done!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Part chop it for a newer model :)

Reply to
dojj

heh. I did think about that mind... I reckon on doing that it'll cost me £2k - £3k to get my heated windscreen :-\

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Use the a/c?

Reply to
adder

I do. Thanks :-)

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Give Triplex a call; they should be able to tell you the name of someone who can fit a screen.

Reply to
Bob Watt

The screen itself is the simple part. The problem is the electrics, which is what Ford inform me is the reason one cannot be fitted. As the wiring loom in cars without is different to those that do have it fitted from the start.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

No reason it can't be sorted with a switch from the scrappy, relay and a fuse.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm led to believe it is rather more complicated than that...

Reply to
Mark Hewitt