Fitting Nokia hands free to Mk2 Mondeo

Hi

As a result of some "hand-me-downs" I have acquired the parts I need for a full Nokia carkit. I have searched the web and found answers to pretty much all my questions but was still left wondering :

(A) If anybody had a recommendation as to where I should fit the control box and speaker. I am planning passenger footwell for control box and to the right of the centre console for the speaker. Is it better to situate the control box behind trim, and if so whereabouts ? If relevant I am using a "No Holes Bracket" for the cradle

(B) What is the easiest way of getting the microphone cable/aerial cable from the windscreen through the dash to the control box

(C) Is there a major difference in quality between the HFU-2 and the HFU-4 control boxes ? I have everything I need for the HFU-2 and canb get an HFU-4 but would need to purchase a PCU-4 power loom for the HFU-4.

I have seen the autoleads soloutions to route the sound through the speakers and these are not an option for me at the moment (skint), and for the same reason Bluetooth isn't an option.

I'd be very grateful for any input

Dave

Reply to
[rgmw]largie

A) Passenger footwell area is quite full already as the fusebox hides there.

Reply to
Conor

Hi Conor.

I'd already found a fusebox behind the glove box (which scuppered my plan to locate the control box there). Then there didn't seem to be lot of space behind the trim in the passenger footwell. That's why I thought of fitting it in the footwell fastened to the bit of trim that leads on from the centre console. I'm concerned it's a bit close to feet there but I can't think where else to put it currently !

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Best wishes

Dave

Reply to
[rgmw]largie

Does the cabling allow you to mount it in the boot?

Reply to
Conor

Now that's an interesting idea that hadn't occurred to me. Sadly I don't think that my cabling is long enough to make that a goer.

Having thought about it some more I think I'm going to take the footwell trim out and just see how much space there is after all. Assuming there's space available there then I think that'll be the neatest soloution.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best wishes

Dave

Reply to
[rgmw]largie

On Mar 27, 9:05 pm, "[rgmw]largie" wrote:

I know it's bad form to reply to ones own post but I thought I might as well drop in what I finally did just on the off chance somebody else wants to ask the same question in the future.....stranger things have happened I'm sure.

The piece of trim in the passenger footwell has 3 screws holding it in place. I removed this piece of trim and mounted the fitting bracket for the control unit about an inch above the most forward screw. This leaves it out of sight. I took the radio out and joined the earth (black) and accessory live (red). I used a No holes bracket inserted between the soft and the hard (black) plastic to mount the cradle. The aerial lead and control lead I twisted together, directly beneath this point a small cutout already exists in the centre console (almost like Ford thought it through) and the 2 wires tuck through this hole and can be pushed up inside the console and out at the front. The speaker I mounted in the CD/Cassette store in the centre console armrest, again the cable can be pushed inside the trim panel and comes out in line with the back of the seat;- there's no hole but it comes out alright. The microphone is velcro backed. This sticks nicely to the fabric of the roof by the interior light. The cable fits inside a 'tunnel' running all around the windscreen, it pushes all the way down the A pillar and then can be pressed into the gap on the top of the dashboard where the 2 pieces join. Once it gets to the door frame there is a piece of rubber that it can be tucked inside. Once it gets to the bottom of the Glovebox there is another gap between trim that the wire can press into before passing around the back of the glovebox and down into the control unit. I fitted a tax-disc aerial which followed the same path as the microphone cable. - The only visible wire is the part from the base of the tax disc to the top of the dashboard.

Overall I'm very happy with the result (So bully for me)

Hope this helps anybody else contemplating the same process (I hope the above is clear) ;- it is far easier than I thought it would be !

Dave

Dave

Reply to
[rgmw]largie